Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
danz_oye
My Device: Monza 9860
My Carrier: XL
Accepted Solution

Image auto Compressed/Resized by System only when using BIS

Hi All,

My app download an image, the url is direct image (http://url/path/image.jpg). the problem is, the image i downloaded always get resized/compressed. the size become about 300px in width. i have check my image on server, i don't have images in that size. and i don't have code to resize an image.

then i realize, it only happen when using BIS connection. the images back normal when i use WIFI. is it resized by RIM server? I have test on 9860 and 9900.

Regards,

Danz

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
paolorodriguez
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: GlaDOS

Re: Image auto Compressed/Resized by System only when using BIS

It is done so by RIM to optimize the bandwidth usage. As far as I am aware there is no way around this, unless you use HTTPS instead of HTTP.

Like all my posts, and mark them as the solution if it solved your problem.

My Website: Paolo Rodriguez

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I download images of various sizes via BIS-B, in fact I download full screen images for the 9860 which are much bigger than 300*300, so I am not convinced about this:

"It is done so by RIM to optimize the bandwidth usage."

I suspect in fact the "optimization" you are seeing is in fact from a carrier gateway.  So nothing to do with RIM. 

Can you tell us what connection suffix you are using?  Also what carrier(s) have you tested?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danz_oye
My Device: Monza 9860
My Carrier: XL

Hi All,

Sorry for my late response, i've been busy lately.

I did some debug n test with my http code. apparently the problem occurred because i added some headers in my http connection :

_headers.setProperty("Profile", getProfile());
			_headers.setProperty("x-wap-profile", getProfile());
			_headers.setProperty("x-rim-transcode-content", "*/*");
			_headers.setProperty(
					"Accept",
					"application/vnd.rim.html,text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml,application/vnd.wap.wmlc;q=0.9,application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc;q=0.7,text/vnd.wap.wml;q=0.7,text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor,image/vnd.rim.png,image/jpeg,application/x-vnd.rim.pme.b,application/vnd.rim.ucs,image/gif;anim=1,application/vnd.rim.css;v=1,text/css;media=screen,*/*;q=0.5");
			_headers.setProperty(
					"x-rim-original-accept",
					"application/vnd.rim.html,text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml,application/vnd.wap.wmlc;q=0.9,application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc;q=0.7,text/vnd.wap.wml;q=0.7,text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor,image/vnd.rim.png,image/jpeg,application/x-vnd.rim.pme.b,application/vnd.rim.ucs,image/gif;anim=1,application/vnd.rim.css;v=1,text/css;media=screen,*/*;q=0.");
			_headers.setProperty("x-rim-gw-properties", "16.10");
			_headers.setProperty("x-rim-accept-encoding", "yk;v=3;m=384");

i forgot from which article i got that. but i think that headers have something todo with BrowserField. as far as i remember, i unable to load facebook authentication page without that headers.

i just erased that code now.

Thanks for your response guys!

Please use plain text.