Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
jaywhy13
My Carrier: Digicel

Improving Eclipse Experience

Is there anything that can be done at this stage now to improve the Eclipse development expierence? I've read different posts in the past on the forum and am hoping that now something has changed. It's mind blowing how frustrating trying to test using Eclipse and the simulators are. I'm convinced I'm either doing something wrong or I'm just not aware of best practices that gurus use... being a complete n00b. 

Am I the only that experiences these problems and are there any solutions or best practices to get around these?

• Sometimes I try to package the project and Eclipse just sits there laughing at me. 
  • Sometimes I try to Load Project to Device and somehow it figures it doesn't need to sign my code even though I changed stuff and this of course results in the app prompting me that the app tried to access a Secure API and can't open.
  • The Torch Simulator takes forever to open (+10 mins perhaps)
  • GPS simulation on the simulators are sometime-ish.. even though I set the coordinate, many times I get the qualified coordinate to be null?!?!?! I had to close Eclipse before this worked (I closed the simulator many times before that to no avail)
  • When launching the simulator, Eclipse oftens stops at some very familiar magic numbers like 27% or 29% and doesn't move from there at all.
  • Sometimes the Simulator comes up and wallah!!!! My app's not there
  • I get some weird "RimEnableGPSData" error on the 9700 from time to time as well. If I select anything other than "Ignore all DEAs...." the simulator doesn't seem to receive any input at all after that. 

I kept this post open to keep me occupied while I've been waiting the last 30mins just to get the Simulator to come up and have a valid point so I can actually test a feature i'm implementing. While typgin this post I've closed the simulator and eclipse several times and ZILCH!!!!! This is really frustrating?!?!? Help???? If I kept this post open long enough while Eclipse is going... the post will continue to get longer so I'll stop here for now. 

I saw someone mention starting the simulator without the debugger and mentioned a post that's inaccessible to me. I'm not sure that will work for me because I still haven't gotten the hang of BB dev just yet and debugging is my eyes and ears. Is it possible to attach the debugger after it boots or something? I am also using JUnit testing but I don't use this for testing pushing screens and so on, I just use it to test the API we're building. I guess I should be using it for that too. 

I'm using an HP Envy 17 i7 with 6GB. 

Please use plain text.