Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
02cp682
My Device: 8800, 8100

Incoming call screen

Hi All,

As you know, when a call is coming, it will display phone number or display phone caller name if the phone number has registered at Addressbook,

the Issue is if I have my owner contact saved on device, and when a call is coming, and the number is registered at my own addressbook, can I send some paramter to phone calling dialog to display the name?
I know there is phoneListener, but how to transfer information to phone incoming dialog.

How to do it?
Thanks in advanced
Jeet Bhatt, India
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Incoming call screen

This is not supported in the BlackBerry API set.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
bwei
My Device: Not Specified

Why can some third applications  do this?  Could you give us  explanations?

Please use plain text.
Developer
guperez

I saw an application once that would put another screen on top of the caller id. The BB API does not support it so they probably used a hack to achieve that. I try to avoid those because there are no guarantees that it will continue to work in the future.

I wonder why RIM does not allow us to replace it. I can think of thousands of applications that could benefit from that. Oh well... I guess they might have a reason.

Take care.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
krkeegan

Sorry to keep rehashing this, but Berryacode has always done this.  How did they achieve this.  They continued to use the incoming call dialog, nothing was displayed over the top.  Did they just catch the incoming call and create a "fake" addressbook entry first have the incoming call pop up and then delete the addressbook entry?  Would that work?
Please use plain text.
Developer
rtbsoft

I've just been researching this and, yes, that's exactly what they did. Temporary 'fake' address book entry. I know this because someone on a forum was complaining that the temporary entries weren't being deleted and ended up synced to the desktop.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
swati02
My Device: 8520

I am able to call customize screen in device at the time of incoming call but only in debug mode, but not able to display customize screen in device in normal mode.

Can any one help me in this problem?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

swati02, you can customize a small part of the phone screen (in a very limited way) using the phonescreen api (os 5+).

you cannot display another screen on top of the incoming call screen as it is a modal screen with the highest importance (which is not usable on a real device).

as it was hinted at before, you can display information about the caller by adding a contact in the addressbook on a callincoming event. my software uses pushed information to create a contact, and adds it to the AB when a call comes in within a certain timeframe.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
trainee
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Internet

Hi,

if you want to hide the default screen for incoming call and want to use your own screen than u can do this with pushGlobalscreen.

pushglobalscreen overlaps the incoming call screen.

thankx.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

no, it does not. see Marks official statement above.

you can do it on the simulator, on the real device you get a security exception when pushing a global screen with the highest priority (Integer.MIN_VALUE)

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.