Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
eaoliver
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Re: Install application through SMS

I'm not aware of any libraries to do it, but it's not that hard to write a naive implementation yourself.  The hard part is getting GPS coordinates of all the cell towers.  

I read somewhere that a future release of the BlackBerry platform will have some kind of cell tower triangulation built in.  They use users with their own GPSs to discover towers.

Earl 

Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka
My Device: Not Specified

How do you ask the receiver to find 3 towers? I didn't think that was available from j2me. See my earlier post solicting

volunteers to run my app that records GPS and cell tower info. Employer approval permitting, I'd be happy to

publish the database just as I made the test reference point link available ( no assurances about availability etc).

Please use plain text.
Developer
eaoliver
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Oh, unfortunately the BlackBerry APIs don't allow you to retreive the set of neighbouring cell towers (which, by the way RIM, is annoying).  The information is obviously available to the device, I cannot figure out why they don't expose it to developers.

I never saw your original posts, but RIM is doing the exact same thing; except better.  They can sample ALL the towers, not just the one you are associated with.

Earl 

Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.