Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
tonyhanu
My Device: Not Specified

Installing and Running as Application

I am a newbie to BB development so please excuse me if this seems basic. I have written a simple application using standard MIDP stuff - no BB specific stuff in it. I have run it in the Sun Wireless Toolkit Simulator. I ported the code into the BB JDE and built it and tried to run it in the simulator. There is no icon for it. I can look in Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications and I can see it there but I don't know how to run it. I tried the same thing on my real BB and installed the application with Desktop Manager. It shows up in the Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications listing but I can't find a way to run it. What am I missing?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tonyhanu

Re: Installing and Running as Application

Oops...that should be Installing and Running an Application (not as Application)
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

If you are using JDE 4.6 or above, look in the Downloads folder.  Pre 4.6, look for anicon on the ribbon.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
tonyhanu

I am using JDE 4.7 with simulator for 8310. I am not sure what you mean by the Downloads folder. I don't seem to have one on either the device or the simulator or in the JDE.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

You cannot run 4.7 with the simulator for the 8310 - this is the root of your issue.

If you run 4.7, then you must run the Storm simulator.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tonyhanu

Thanks. I didn't realize that the JDE and simulator were that linked together. I did get the 8310 simulator to launch from JDE 4.7 but my application wasn't there. I downloaded JDE 4.6 and first built the sample apps. They ran fine on the 8310 simulator. Then I ported my own app over to JDE 4.6 and built in. I installed it to my Curve 8310 and again it shows up in Options->Advanced Options->Aplications but not on my home screen.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

As Peter already pointed out, it will not be on your home screen.

On 4.6 and 4.7, your app goes to the Downloads directory.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tonyhanu

Still not sure what you mean by the Downloads directory. On the device or in the simulator? I don't have a Downloads directory on either.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Just to confirm the above:

a) when developing you should develop using a JDE that is the same or earlier than your target device.  In this case you are using a 8310 simulator.  I'm guessing that this is running 4.5 (see Options-->About), so you should be developing using JDE 4.5.

Some argue that you can get away with using a later level JDE than the device, provided you don't use any of the new functionality.  However this is NOT supported.

I suspect that the samples don't use any new functionality, so will work.  Your application probably uses a new API and so doesn't start.  In this situation you will see a Verify Error for your application if you look carefully at the start up messages.

b) If you were running a OS 4.6 or later simulator, you will see a load of folders in the Home Screen rather than icons.  One of these is the Downloads folder.  That is where your application would go.  The reason you don't see it is that you are using a pre 4.6 OS.

Conclusion - since you are developing for a 8310 you will need to download and develop on an earlier JDE.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tonyhanu

Thanks Peter. I have now downloaded JDE 4.5 as my 8310 is running version 4.5 of the software. My application is a very simple midlet that runs OK in the Sun Java Wireless Toolkit. It displays a list and from the list it displays a simple form depending on which list item you select. It has simple OK, Back and Exit buttons. Nothing much in terms of features and functionality.

Building the app on JDE 4.5 and then installing with the BB Desktop Manager yielded the same results...that is, the application shows up in Options->Advanced Options->Applications but I can't find it anywhere else on the device so I can't launch it. There must be something very basic that I am missing here but I am not sure where to look. The documentation that I have read so far makes it sound straight forward. I have been using Desktop Manager after having the JDE create an .alx file. Perhaps I should just be using rapc and JavaLoader.

Tony

Please use plain text.