If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
amnotnew
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Installing blackberry on linux

[ Edited ]

hi everyone ....

I have been developing bb apps till now in windows xp , recently i had changes to linux.... can help anyone help me by saying how to install eclipse with bb plugin and work on it ......plz...i searched the comunity and found the following link.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Eclipse-JDE-Plugin-Linux-a-working-environme...

but to understand it is taking a lot of time with time consuming errors.

Can anyone suggest me how install(if possible step by step procedure).........Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer

Re: Installing blackberry on linux

I suspect the biggest challenge is running the BlackBerry Simulator as it's definitely using Windows API. If you have Windows installed you could try using WINE, but I don't know whether it's good enough... You could try running the simulator in a Windows VM and then connecting to it via the debug ports from JDE or Eclipse, but, again, I've never tried this myself.

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

I do all my projects with cygwin scripts and finally decided to try to move to debian ( largely due to

browsers oddly enough but I'm sure cygwin people will be happy LOL ).  But, even with java

I thought there were issues with rim jars and path separators or other stuff so it hasn't been

a high priority ( cygwin and rim build tools run just fine but since they are batch I don't

even really care how long they take ).  For tools clearly bound to windoze, I'm not sure what

to do but curious to read about what others have found.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
amnotnew

thanks for the reply.....i just wanted to know if any one is developing the blackberry application in linux?

even though  i am trying as the link is suggesting i wanted to know if it is possible or not?

if they are any one developing in linux , can you please post some details regarding the installation, right now i am trying different means to make it work. Different problems are arousing as i move on ..... it would be of great help if anyone have suggestions or so.... thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Developer
martijnbrinkers

I use eclipse on Linux while developing and build the jad's (different targets for diferent OS versions) with an ant script. I only use Windows (inside VirtualBox) for testing.

I used some information found here blackberry-development-using-linux

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

One good thing, though it hasn't been released yet, is that RIM will be releasing a cross-platform version of the develepment tools (simulator, compiler, signing tool, etc.).

It will work on Windows, Mac, and Linux so for now you have to do what the other BlackBerry devs who use linux do but eventually they will have native tools for Linux.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
amnotnew

thanks for the suggestions and the link ...

Can you be more specifc about the virtualbox method of running. As far as i know that the virtual box will create another OS in linux. So should we install the eclipse and plugin in that virtual OS and run in it and see the output.....thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
martijnbrinkers

I use BlackBerry JDE from VirtualBox but just for testing and debugging. You can use Eclipse instead but as I don't need to write actual code inside VirtualBox I didn't need all the eclipse features.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
amnotnew

thanks Martijnbrinkers for your reply...

If anyone in the future is facing ths issue then according to my knowledge it is not that easy to install(atleast not for me), so in linux you need to install the Virtual box and in that i had installed the windows environment and then worked on it as we work in windows XP.

So i am marking this thread as solved

Thanks Everyone for helping he ....

Please use plain text.
New Developer
New Developer
rzr
My Device: dev alpha c (bb10)
My Carrier: www.rzr.online.fr
Please use plain text.