Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 8520

Installing google map programatically

Hi ,

i want to install google map in a button click event through my application for that i am using below code in a button click event

String url="http://m.google.com/maps";

net.rim.blackberry.api.browser.BrowserSession bSession = net.rim.blackberry.api.browser.Browser.getDefaultSession();

bSession.displayPage(url);
                bSession.showBrowser();

while using browsersession i am getting  google map in blackberry browser and installed it but the thing is its just redirects into browser and in that if we click install google map is installed ...

but now my requirement is without asking install and terms and codtions and all other things is there any possibility to install google maps programatically in a button click....

pls help me...

Developer
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone India

Re: Installing google map programatically

No U can't skip permission popup..  but u can load those maps programatically... without asking for permissions

Developer

hi,

thanks for quick reply will you please give some code to skip permission popup...

pls help me

Developer
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: vodaphone

Kiran,

any particular reason why you are trying to use google maps instead of the BB Maps? Using the BB in a field allows you to do most anything google allows you to do and you can override the paint method to add additional things to customize the map.

It would seem this would be a lot less problematic overall. I tend to show a preview of a map (Bing, as it works more reliably than google - there is a bug of google http preview not working on the Bold 9000) and then when the user clicks on the map preview show the BB Map to show tracks etc.

Just my 2c worth...

-matt

Press Kudos if this helped - ;-)
Developer

Hi mtatro,

first i strarted my application with Blackberry maps only but even blackberry maps demo also not working in my devices 9130 and bold i.e. if we select invoke map even defualt map also not coming...

for this reason i called to Airtel they said they haven't tie up with any GPS so third party applications can't use blackberry map..

actually in my 9130 blackberry maps deleted even i am unable to install it but in bold maps there but in my application maps not invoking due to this reasons i shifted into google maps...

have u ever faced this problem??or any solution???

Kiran

Developer
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: vodaphone

Sorry, I have never seen any BB device where BB maps don't work...I have dealt mainly in South America, Europe and the US..

Now, it is a fairly well known fact that on the simulator the BB maps have issues; at least I cannot get the map to work. On the actual device it works just fine.

Are the issues you are facing on the simulator only or on the device as well?

-matt

Press Kudos if this helped - ;-)
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Agree with mtatro.

Also don't understand this:

"i called to Airtel they said they haven't tie up with any GPS so third party applications can't use blackberry map"

There are US providers who I believe used to restrict access to GPS.  But I don't believe any GSM providers ever did that.  Since Airtel is GSM, I would presume that it has no restrictions on the use of GPS. 

That said, I thought the 30 suffix meant "world phone" and these tend to be sold in North America, so I'm surprised you got that with Airtel.  and if it is unlocked, you should not have any restrictions.

Also, if you download an OS upgrade you should be able to re-install BlackBerry Maps on there. 

But back to your real question.  You have had the following from girishthakr:

"No U can't skip permission popup.."

Does that not answer your question?

Developer
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone India

"i called to Airtel they said they haven't tie up with any GPS so third party applications can't use blackberry map"

Actually it means to say that BB Maps doesn't works here in India, as not supported here. Thats the reason we can't check maps Using BB Maps. If we try to load maps here for INDIA it will not load any data.

and U r right Operator has nothing to do with GPS... Smiley Happy

Developer

exactlty....

i am sorry i haven't check peter's and others reply....

thanks girishthakr for explaining the problem......

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Installing Google map programatically

@ girishthakr

Thanks for your clarification. 

Can I just confirm my understanding that BB Maps will work on phones sourced in India, but there are (currently) no maps for India?  But if you took your phone over to the US, then you would be able to use BB Maps?