Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
ingvar_e
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
Accepted Solution

Installing large apps over internet

Installing large apps over the internet is troublesome.  Just too test locally  I "unpacked" the large  cod-file and extracted the 8 small cod files inside and listed all files in order in the alx-file and then did an install with the Desktop Manager. Install worked, App seems to work. The only difference is that when setting permissions the first cod-file showed up as the application and the following 7 was listed under  "Library".  That is not to bad except that when setting permissions it has to be set for all library modules too. At least that  seems to be necessary. Is there a way to avoid this "Library" listing for all subsequent cod-files?

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: Installing large apps over internet

using the desktop manager is usually not "over internet". no need to extract cods for the alx/cod.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
ingvar_e

I was only testing the concept of putting the sibling files in the ALX instead of the "zip"-file. The "real life" scenario for our customers is installation over the internet and that is a bit troublesome with that large cod-file. (zip-file). And it seemed to work except for the listing under "library" when setting permissions.

-Mario Andretti-
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

use a jad file then.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
Developer
mb1
My Device: Not Specified

How big is your cod fie?

Perhaps you should explore the possibility of removing resources like PNGs, BMPs etc.

Developer
BB-Dude
My Device: 9900

Create an application that takes care of the heavy downloading.

The user will download the small app from your site and the app will download the separate modules from the web. Then let the app put the separate modules together on the device.

Developer
ingvar_e

Hi all.

The big file is an existing Midlet. Cant do much about it.

I just realized that I should use a JAD file in that case.  Can Sibling segments be specified in the JAD-file instead of the big "zip"-file? That could be a way to slice the big file to a size that is acceptable.

I am struggling with an "Installer". Got it working reasonably well on the simulator downloading the midlet in chunks. Do it in real life and choosing the right method (wifi,wap) is a different story. Yes. I am reading Peter S. thread on the subject. Excellent thread. Quite a lot to digest.

-Mario Andretti-
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

"Can Sibling segments be specified in the JAD-file instead of the big "zip"-file?"

Yes, that is in fact how I always do it.  The Jad file generated by thr JDe actually lists the separate sibling files anyway, so the is no jad creation involved too. 

"Excellent thread. Quite a lot to digest."

Thanks - and yes, quite a lot.