Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
yyhokenny
My Device: Simulator
Accepted Solution

Integrating content into search in OS6

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried integrating their content into Unified Search Service?  I was checking the related document (namely this and this and also the API doc) but they seem to be incomplete.  Has anyone figure out how to implement user action on search result?

I saw something about UiAction but not much info on there... and in here: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/17953/Encapsulate_your_data_in_SearchableEntit...

it said " Define what options should display on the context menu when a user clicks on your entity in a list of search results. See Specify what users can do with your data in search results below for more information" But the " Specify what users can do with your data in search results" part is no where to be found.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marak
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Integrating content into search in OS6

[ Edited ]

Hi 

currently this isn't supported . Take a look at the 

The UiAction class is missing a constructor. (764904)
Impact: Any class that extends UiAction will fail to build with a "cannot find symbol" error on the class.
Workaround: None

Anyway, I'd like to hear comment from somone within RIM about this. 

Mate

Please use plain text.
Developer
yyhokenny

[ Edited ]

I think this is one of those instances where RIM give priority to alliance partners.  It's obvious that the doc had the necessary information but got taken out for some reason.  There are actually apps that has search integration already... I don't get it... I don't understand why in this day and age of Android and iPhone, RIM is still insisting on doing these tiered thing...  I mean... if I require a human being to support me, I would understand the tiered pricing, etc.  But I am talking about documentations here.  Is accurate and up-to-date documentation that much to ask?

Please use plain text.
Developer
mohitsharma
My Device: Blackberry Torch

I have the same problem, does anybody has updates when this will get fix.

Can anybody from RIM reply to this post?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution. Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.
Please use plain text.
Developer
knight9
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

They can barely get working APIs and now you want good documentation. Give me a break. I have been getting more and more dissapointed with everything that RIM delivers. 

On that note, I too am having the issue where it is not possible to instantiate a UiAction class necessary to do anything with universal search. So I spent a bunch of time implementing something that can't do anything, awesome. 

I opened i ticket for this here: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/JAVAAPI-1421

Please add comments that others are seeing this issue as well. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
mohitsharma

Hey guys,

I found a workaround, overridden the function getUiActions in SearchableEntity do your stuff inside it and return NULL.

I do Ui stuff through invoke later and do app specific things using alternate entry point. You may want to explore this until RIM give some update on this.

public UiAction getUiActions(Object contextObject, UiAction[] uiActions)
    {
        //do your stuff here with the entity
        return null;
    }

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution. Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

@mohitsharama got a response about this on this post:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/OS-6-universal-search-service-how-to-take-ac...

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
yyhokenny

Good stuff mohitsharma, that's what I ended up doing as well.

I don't know if you have been following the sample from the SDK, but if you do there's another "bug" you should watch out for as well.  In the Searchable, be sure to return your actual array of SearchableEntity even if you add the entity through the AppContentManager.

The sample return a 0-length array and that doesn't seem to be the correct way of doing things because your entities will disappear from the OS after a random period of time (around 15 minutes one time.)  At least that's what I observed on the simulator anyway.

Please use plain text.
Developer
mohitsharma

Hey thanks for that,

I have observed that disappearence but not that much frequent as you say. I have observed it at few ocassions only, on device. Most of  the time it's out there. Will try your suggestion if it disappear again and will see if I get the same problem again.

Lets hope an update is underway soon then we dont have to resolve to this kind of "DIRTY" stuff. I think before DEVCON they might rolled out an update as this is such a important feature to use from OS 6.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tedrex
My Device: Not Specified

Hi Mohitsharma,

Are you able to get to selected item without UiAction instance?

In my case, contextObject was null and uiActions array was empty.

Or, are you just implementing a generic logic in your app?

Please use plain text.