Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
papdoligosa
My Carrier: Globe/Unlocked AT&T

Invoke net_rim_bb_jaddownloadapp

Hi all,

I would like to know if the net_rim_bb_jaddownloadapp would allows third-party apps to invoke it to open JAD files. And if yes, does anybody know what argument value does it need, e.g. JAD file path?

Just a little background, I'm implementing this offline app update feature where I look for my app's JAD file on memory card (e.g. file:///SDCard/app/myapp.jad  ).

I initially used Browser by obtaining a default browser session and passing the JAD file path. It worked before, and is still working on some devices, although lately some of the devices started encountering this error: "907 Invalid COD A network error occurred".

So while I'm still looking for the solution on the Browser implementation, I starting looking for other options as well and found out that opening the JAD file from the file manager uses net_rim_bb_jaddownloadapp module. I'm now wondering if third-party apps can use this like the file manager.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
PBernhardt
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Invoke net_rim_bb_jaddownloadapp

That module is not designed to be used by third party developers, and I have no idea if it would work. I expect not.

What you can use is the CodeModuleManager class. It's not going to just install a jad file for you, but you can use to install and update apps.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: Invoke net_rim_bb_jaddownloadapp

The Browser Method should work.  I suspect the issue is most likely to do with the construction of the jad, and in this case, the use of sibling cods.  Some lelvels of Browser will cope, some will not.  So check your jad. 

Please use plain text.