Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
zahidalinaqvi
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: SingTel

Is OS 4.5 having GPS compatibility...

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am going to develop one chat and GPS based application.

What OS should i target to develop application ?

In this application i have integration of facebook/twitter/gmail. Is it supported by 4.5?

4.5 is ok in this case ?

Please provide me suggestions.

where i can get the list of all blackberry models with the OS names?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Zahid Naqvi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks & Regards
Zahid Naqvi | Senior Software Engineer
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Is OS 4.5 having GPS compatibility...

GPS has been in the OS since 4.2.  Whether the device has GPS built-in or not is another question.  There are other Threads and from memory a KB article about this that I guess you can search out if you want to find out which devices do and do not have built-in GPS.  Devices without built-in GPS can still use GPS with a Bluetooth attached GOS puck. 

Re integration with the Social networking apps, as far as I know, there are no built-in APIs to access any of them.  But there are plenty of posts on the forum that discuss how it can be done, especially Facebook.  So have a look round.  The networking facilities have been steadily improving over the OS Levels, but I suspect a well written 4.2 app would be able to communicate again wit all those services. 

Finally you are aware that people can and do upgrade the OS, so a specific list of models and OS's is a bit difficult.  I thought there was a KB article around that discussed which devices can and can't be upgraded to OS 5.0, however I have not been able to find it. Have a quick look for yourself.  And there are other Threads on this forum that talk about this, including some I have contributed to which try to list devices and OS. 

Good luck hunting!

Please use plain text.