If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
lcaro
My Device: Blackberry 8110
My Carrier: Generic
Accepted Solution

Is a BBM Connected app still working when BIS expires?

Hi,

I am working on a BBM Connected app. My application depends on BBM to work. Therefore, I'm using the "proxy" dependency approach. If BBM is not working, my app should not work either.

I've got a doubt regarding this.

Let's say we got this scenario:

We install and launch a BBM Connected application and we register successfully with BBM. At this point the app is working fine.

We are on a pay as you go plan. BIS expires at the end of the month. Our BBM is not working any more.

Since you have already registered with BBM, is your BBM Connected app going to work even though BBM does not work?

Thank you very much indeed

Regards

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Is a BBM Connected app still working when BIS expires?

The dependency check only checks that BBM is present on device.  It does not check that BBM is actually working.  So if BIS expires and the user does not delete the BBM app, your app will continue to work. 

Does that answer your question?

Please use plain text.
Developer
lcaro
My Device: Blackberry 8110
My Carrier: Generic

Hi Peter and thanks for replying,

Yes, that answers my question but that means I've got a problem because I don't want my app to work if BIS has expired(BBM is not working). Is there any way to achieve what I want?

Thank you very much indeed

Regards

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

AFAIK BBM does not require BIS - you can BBM with BES/MDS too. 

There are various CoverageStatus's that will tell you if BIS-B and/or BES are active, you could perhaps test these.  I don't know of a way to ask BBM if it is actually working, but there might be something in the API there too.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will have a look at this question. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Dionysus
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: MTN

There are no API's to check if BBM is "working" as far as I know.

As peter said, you can check the coverage status and if BIS/BES is not available then don't run your app. The only problem with this approach is that the connection might not be completely stable and you might attempt to detect the availability of the BIS/BES at a time where there is a drop in connection.

You could overcome this with a little thought though. It isn't that big of a train smash.

Please use plain text.