Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
efrancis
My Device: 8800
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to disallow application icon not to appear in application switcher option?

I have a Ui Application set as auto run on startup. Is it possible to disallow application icon not to appear in application switcher option?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Is it possible to disallow application icon not to appear in application switcher option?

An application that extends UiApplication will show up in the task switcher.  An application that extends Application will not.  There isn't a way to prevent a UiApplication from appearing there.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
bzubert
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Is it possible to disallow application icon not to appear in application switcher option?

[ Edited ]

No, this is not possible.  Should you wish for your application to not be displayed in the ApplicationSwitcher, you would need to extend the Application class instead.  Which could mean that you might set up your deployment as two apps, a background Application piece that is always active, and a UiApplication piece that is only needed for user interaction.  The two pieces could then communicate with one another via interprocess communication using either the PersistentStore or the RuntimeStore. 

More information on background applications can be found here:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800660/How_To_...

Message Edited by bzubert on 07-17-2008 10:35 AM
Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.