Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Is there any size limit for Blackberry Applications?

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any size limit for Blackberry Applications? Our company have developed an application which reads lot of sound files from Resources, due to which the size of the application has exceeded 15 MB. Now, when I try to download that application via OTA it gives me error as Connection Timed Out. But this error is not received every time, sometime the application gets installed and sometimes it gives error as mentioned. Can someone let me know what may be the reason?

Hope to get a quick reply.

Regards
Sunil
Developer

Re: Is there any size limit for Blackberry Applications?

take a look at this article which discusses file size limits for wireless downloads:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800646/What_Is...

regards,

yosoh

--------------------------------------------------
problemSolved() ? kudosPlease():kudosPlease();
Developer
My Device: Storm

Hi,

Unlike the iPhone, Android, and Windows Mobile, BlackBerry has size restrictions on apps. This is for speed (in downloading, installing, removing, loading, etc.) the application and because BlackBerry stores the applications in a separate memory location which the largest I know of is 128mb.
   Second COD files are limited to 64kb of code and 64kb of resources. Any more and the COD is split into multiple CODs, with a song files of 15mb that would give you a minimum of 240 CODs. Most BlackBerry's don't have more then a couple hundred, let alone over 40 for one app. So it is working in stable.

To overcome it, you can store the file on the SDCard or stream it from web.

with regards,
Vignesh J

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to mark your post as solved if you get the answer and dont forget to give kudos if the answer is useful for you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

When I try to download application in simulator through OTA, it gives me error as "Connection Timed out". The download starts properly, but in between when the download is completed almost 70% then error comes as "Connection Timed Out".

Do you have any idea regarding this kind of error?

Regards
Sunil
Developer
My Device: Storm

Hi,

I think this link may be useful to you, not sure

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/cod-data-section-too-large-65222/td-p/410066

with regards,
Vignesh J

Don't forget to mark your post as solved if you get the answer and dont forget to give kudos if the answer is useful for you.