Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
blisterpeanuts
My Device: Not Specified

J2ME + Netbeans widgets - bad choice for BB?

I created what was supposed to be a simple login screen using Netbeans ME plugin.  It generated a whole bunch of code and used these prebuilt widgets like org.netbeans.microedition.lcdui.LoginScreen and org.netbeans.microedition.lcdui.SplashScreen.

Since I am hoping to run this app on multiple platforms including Nokia and Blackberry, I thought J2ME made sense, but the Netbeans tool doesn't work very well.  It has this nice palette of GUI widgets and a flowchart approach to building an app, yet it doesn't always get the properties I put in; I had to hand code some of them such as forcing it to display an image on the splash screen.  Plus, although it looks OK on the simulator, it looks terrible on the Curve and the screen doesn't resize properly.  The text input field focus is invisible and you can't tell what field it's on.

I'm thinking this thing isn't ready for prime time and I should either hand code my J2ME or switch back to native BB coding using Eclipse.  What's the general sense about using J2ME on BB?  Have people given up because of poor support for this platform, or am I just making lots of newbie mistakes?

Thanks,

BP

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: J2ME + Netbeans widgets - bad choice for BB?

you will have to develop it yourself.

personally i use only RIMs GUI, in the end you have to decide if it is worth for you to write an own UI or adjust the j2me code until it looks acceptable on all BBs.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
blisterpeanuts
My Device: Not Specified

Re: J2ME + Netbeans widgets - bad choice for BB?

thanks for the response; I ended up dumping the Netbeans classes and using pure J2ME.  It's not beautiful, but it gets the job done.

Eventually we'll probably move the UI to pure BB API, but for my simple needs, J2ME does the trick for now.

Please use plain text.