Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
smunro2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: JDE 1.1

Yeah,

It is a bummer!!  It was my fault in the first instance for not checking I was using the correct update site. It's quite a pain not to have access to the debugger and having to insert log statements throughout the code and check the blackberry event log when something blows.  I have tried to suggest moving up to a newer JDE, but some of our clients are on older blackberry models.

I could be wrong here (it wouldn't be the first  time), but I don't think the plugin is in it's beta phase any more.  It did say on the site that it was beta a few months back, then I came across an article saying that it was no longer a beta, so I'm assuming they were happy with the product.  I'd suggest either fixing the plugin to support 4.1 like it says on the site or amend that page to make it explicit that the plugin only works with 4.5 onwards.

There is some kind of RIM meeting coming up soon, I wish they would do on-line webinars so I could listen and and put forward some of my own questions.  Pity I'm based in Scotland.

Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

The 1.1 plugin is definitely out of beta.

I believe it is probably set to 4.5 for now and they may update the plugin to support older packs later.  It is either that or they are trying to phase out support for the older devices (I doubt this one).

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer
smunro2009

I hope it's not the case where RIM are trying to phase out support for 4.3. 

Developer
Ted_Hopp

It seems oddly unresponsive that nobody from RIM has commented on this or related threads.

From what I can determine on my own, it seems that the only way to develop for pre-4.5 JREs using the latest plug-in is to follow this path:

1. start with an earlier plug-in and install all pre-4.5 environments you need
  2. upgrade to the latest plug-in

Following that route, I have been developing for 4.2.1. But I didn't have 4.3 installed. So I tried the following experiment (which failed :smileysad:--maybe someone else can take it further):

First, I installed the full 4.3.0 JDE. I then wrote this BlackBerry.ee file:

-Dee.executable=${ee.home}\simulator\fledge.exe
-Dee.bootclasspath=${ee.home}\lib\net_rim_api.jar
-Dee.javadoc=file:${ee.home}\docs\api
-Dee.language.level=1.3
-Djava.home=${ee.home}
-Dee.name=BlackBerry JRE 4.3.0
-Dee.description=BlackBerry Java API Definitions, simulators and utilities for BlackBerry smartphone OS version 4.3.0.59
-Dee.copyright=Copyright (c) Research In Motion Ltd. 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved.
-Dee.output.folder.suffix=4.3.0

and put it in C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\. In Eclipse, I opened  Window>Preferences, went to Java>Installed JREs, clicked Add, selected BlackBerry Execution Environment VM, and selected the .ee file.

At that point, everything seemed fine (4.3 api seemed fully integrated into the editor, the preprocessor directive BlackBerrySDK4.3.0 was automatically defined and selected when the 4.3 JRE was selected as the project build path, etc.). Then I tried to build my project and *splat*:

I/O Error: C:\{project directory}\bin (Access is denied)

This error apparently occurred after all the files were compiled, because bin was fully populated with .class and resource files.

I haven't tried building using the JRE and then somehow debugging from within Eclipse, but I suspect that it would be difficult to make that happen.

So it appears that until (unless?) RIM expands the selections at the download site, developing for pre-4.5 devices with the new plug-in isn't going to be easy.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Developer

Ted, you da man.

From your snippet, I was able to get 4.2.1 working on the 1.1 plugin with this:

-Dee.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Eclipse 3.4\plugins\net.rim.eide.componentpack4.2.1_4.2.1.17\components
-Dee.language.level=1.3
-Djava.home=${ee.home}
-Dee.name=BlackBerry JRE 4.2.1
-Dee.description=BlackBerry Java API Definitions, simulators and utilities for BlackBerry smartphone OS version 4.2.1.17
-Dee.copyright=Copyright (c) Research In Motion Ltd. 1997-2009  All Rights Reserved.
-Dee.output.folder.suffix=4.2.1

(obviously, if you are going to use this, change the path for the eclipse plugin)

I just copied the 4.2.1 plugin over from an old eclipse install into the new eclipse install plugins directory and ran this script when it wanted an *.ee file.  It added the JRE and now the projects I need 4.2.1 for will fire up the simulator with the 1.1. plugin.

M

Developer
Ted_Hopp

Nice. I wonder why it isn't working for me with 4.3. Maybe I needed to start with an old plug-in instead of a downloaded component pack or JDE.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Developer

I got 4.3.0 to work with this:

-Dee.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Eclipse 3.4\plugins\net.rim.eide.componentpack4.3.0_4.3.0.16\components
-Dee.language.level=1.3
-Djava.home=${ee.home}
-Dee.name=BlackBerry JRE 4.3.0
-Dee.description=BlackBerry Java API Definitions, simulators and utilities for BlackBerry smartphone OS version 4.3.0.16
-Dee.copyright=Copyright (c) Research In Motion Ltd. 1997-2009  All Rights Reserved.
-Dee.output.folder.suffix=4.3.0

HTH

M

Developer
smunro2009

Interesting,

Based on what you've done.  We know that it is possible to develop 4.3/4.2 apps using the new plugin, albeit through a very convoluted process, but we know it works.  So I'm working what's the problem with RIM putting support in via the update site...

Developer
Ted_Hopp

@Matty-

No joy for me. :smileysad: Adding a definition for ee.home let the build process get a little farther: now I get a .rapc file in deliverables\Standards\4.3.0 (it used to stay empty). But it still fails with an "Access is denied" I/O error.

It looks from your .ee file that you are pointing the new plug-in at the root of a 4.3 component pack installed for an earlier plug-in running on an earlier Eclipse. Can you confirm that? I was trying to point it to a full JRE install, since I don't have an older plug-in.

Developer

Ted_Hopp wrote:

It looks from your .ee file that you are pointing the new plug-in at the root of a 4.3 component pack installed for an earlier plug-in running on an earlier Eclipse. Can you confirm that? I was trying to point it to a full JRE install, since I don't have an older plug-in.

Yes.  I had tried to point it to a couple of JRE installs, but those failed.  I then copied the plugin directories for the 4.2.1 and 4.3.0 component packs from the old eclipse install to the new one (old one had the 1.0 plugin and new one has the 1.1 plugin) and tried it with the ee.home set to the plugin/component directories -- which worked for both.

I've since actually been able to build with 1.1 using 4.2.1 and 4.3.0, and deploy to the simulator using 1.1.  Of course, the 1.1 plugin complains that the sims for those won't support hot-swap, but that doesn't matter much.

My suggestion would be to you (and anyone who needs/wants 4.2.1 or 4.3.0) to install a brand new temporary eclipse somewhere, install the 1.0 plugin, update it with the 4.2.1 and/or 4.3.0 component packs, copy the plugin directories fir 4.2.1/4.3.0 to your 1.1 plugin eclipse install, run the ee files for the 4.2.1/4.3.0 packs and then delete the temporary eclipse install.  Probably the easiest solution if you already have installed/upgraded to the 1.1 plugin on your main eclipse install.

M