Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
violet313
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

JDE 4.5.0 Rimlet Installation compatability issues on older BB devices

Hi,

I have written a Rimlet using the JDE 4.5.0 and am hitting compatability issues when installing the application on older BB devices. For example, trying to install on a 8100 series device, i have so far also had to include net_rim_xml_org.cod

to the installation package. Now i'm getting the following error:

Class 'net.rim.device.api.ui.component.keywordFilterField' not found.

I know why this is. But I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. I expect that trying to replace specific older versions of runtime libraries would not be the right thing to do.

Should I just not bother using JDE 4.5.0 for five years or is there some standard runtime redistributable library that I can safely include in my installation that will make all my problems go away?

Please use plain text.
Developer
rafo

Re: JDE 4.5.0 Rimlet Installation compatability issues on older BB devices

If you are using JDE 4.5.0 then your compiled application will run on devices with operating system version >= 4.5.0

For example if you've compiled an app on JDE 4.5.0it will run on devices with OS versions: 4.5.0, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, ..., 4.6.0 etc

If you try to run this app on device with OS version less than version of your JDE you'll get an runtime error.

----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Please use plain text.
New Developer
lanceo

Unfortunately, you need to pick a baseline OS and stick with that.  The original pearl is 4.2.0 and there are still a lot of those.  Not too many of the prior 8700 and 7130 that ran 4.1 though.  You can also have multiple OS specific builds.  I have separate builds for 4.2.0, 4.2.1, and 4.6.0, each one of which is slightly different.
Please use plain text.
Developer
violet313

ok thx for that. was afraid that might be the case.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
alexb

I still see a fair amount of customers with 4.1 devices (even some very big Wall St. banks with lots of money to spend on hardware).

Our company still uses 4.1 as the oldest OS we still have to support.

Please use plain text.