Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

JDE Plugin for eclipse 1.1 beta

Installed eclipse 3.5; downloaded and installed the JDE Plugin for eclipse 1.1 beta.

Works on my 32 bit machine running XP, but on the 64 bit running Vista - no BlackBerry related menus and components appear, despite having the BlackBerry logo displayed on the "About" window, and version 5.0.0.11 as the version number.

Tried again using 32 bit emulation but still no joy.

Anyone else tried this combination successfully. I managed to get the 1.0 plugin running fine on Vista 64 bit (with some minor constraints), but can't work out whats up with the new plugin.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: JDE Plugin for eclipse 1.1 beta

I tried installing the Full Installer on 32 bit Vista and it all installed fine but no BlackBerry menu item or even an icon in the About window showed up. I will be sticking with the older version for now and hope that the new one comes out officially.

I will also not second guess myself by not backing up before installing a new version. I luckily didn't lose anything but layout settings.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
bozberry

Can report samee problem here on a Vista 64-bit home premium machine and the latest Eclipse 3.5.1, i see no menus or any sign from within Eclipse that anything RIM/Blackberry has been installed.

Im not sure whether its the plugin install that caused this, but my Help>Help Contents is all screwed up as well now, have to launch via Help>Search.

This was going to be my first shot at trying to develop my first app on a Blackberry, guess i'll need to wait.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

I just checked, Eclipse 1.1 Beta doesn't seem to be installed. If anyone got it installed and working post what you did (if anything other then install) and what system you are using.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Developer
tylerjames

I managed to get it installed and it seems to be well-integrated now. It doesn't have a main BlackBerry menu item like the plugin used to have.

I'm running Vista 32 bit.. Got the downloads from here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/devbetasoftware/javaplugin.jsp

Make sure that you direct the plugin installer to install it to your Eclipse 3.5 (Galileo) directory, it seems to default to /Program Files/Eclipse but it's likely that your directory could be different.  Also it seems to state that you need the latest SDK (Java 6 update 10 or later) although I didn't have any complaints about not having it.

It seems like this plugin is going the next step toward full Eclipse integration and abandonment of the old JDE ways. In this new version you no longer use .jdp and .jdw files, instead the canonical Eclipse .workspace system is used. Also it seems that BlackBerry projects have an XML descriptor file which you can use to edit the project properties and easily add new entry points (they are now merely a property of a project, you don't have to create an entirely new project). Luckily there is a wizard for importing "Legacy" BlackBerry projects.

I've manage to get my old JDE workspace imported, however I seem to be having problems with the preverifier. I get "Error preverifying class" or "Preverifier failed" errors in a number of places.There doesn't seem to be much information about what to do at this point. Would be nice if they'd publish a troubleshooting guide.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

[ Edited ]

I feel like an **bleep** now, I couldn't figure out how to get it working and didn't see the link to the documentation. The link is http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Java+Plug-in... and it has an installation guide. I will uninstall Eclipse and reinstall following the instructions and will say if it works.

Thank you tylerjames for the detailed information.

EDIT: Ha ha, for whatever reason the text "i.d.i.o.t" (without the periods) was replaced with " **bleep** " I find this funny but it was not the original text.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Officially the product has been tested on 32 bit versions of the Windows operating system.  I believe there are specific Eclipse 64bit versions of 3.5 out there that might help out.  But no guarantees.  We have seen some issues with some simulators on 64-bit operating systems as well.

There have also been some issues with 3.5.1 Eclipse editions, but 3.5.0 seems to work fine.  There are still a few kinks to work out for this beta and it does have some specific install needs.

We are very eager to help you work through your issues so that you can get this version up and rolling.  The response from attendees at the developer conference has been incredible.  We have really concentrated on listening to your feedback and pouring those efforts into this v1.1 release.

No more JDW and JDP files..... Yahoo!!! :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
tom_s

I downloaded the Java Plugin today from http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/devbetasoftware/javaplugin.jsp (BlackBerry_JDE_PluginFull_1.1.1.200911020017-11.exe). I already have Eclipse Galileo installed in c:\eclipse. I'm running Windows XP SP3. Running the exe gives the error message "Please select another location to extract the installer to" but whatever I choose it just takes me back to the same dialog.

I don't see quite the same issue here, although there is a StackOverflow question about it (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1712081/blackberry-jde-eclipse-plugin-1-1-on-windows-7), but it's close enough I thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

Downloaded eclipse 3.5.0 but still didn't work.

When I finally checked the eclipse logs it was using jdk 5 rather than 6.Reran with -vm jdk6 and the plugin is loaded.

Now if only the simulator wasn't deathly slow all would be wonderful.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

[ Edited ]

I feel really dumb asking this but how do you uninstall Eclipse? I wanted to reinstall so that I don't have anything messed up but there is no uninstaller.

EDIT: Nevermind, finally found a site that said how to uninstall it (just delete the eclipse directory).

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.