Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
mobimasta
My Device: BB 9700 Bold

Java Application not working without apn - uses WAP2 trans - what can be used to make it work without apn?

Hi,

we've developed a java application which uses WAP2 trans conenctivity - but the app doesnt work in certain locations without APN settings, while in some locations it works without APN settings.

Could anyone help figure out which is the best conenctivity to use instead of WAP2 trans?

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Java Application not working without apn - uses WAP2 trans - what can be used to make it work without apn?

My understanding is that if you specify the WAP connection id, the device will always use WAP, so I am confused about this:

"but the app doesnt work in certain locations without APN settings"

What you seem to be saying is that some phones do not support WAP and so you have to replace WAP with Carrier TCP (aka Direct TCP).  Is that correct?

New Contributor
mobimasta

Re: Java Application not working without apn - uses WAP2 trans - what can be used to make it work without apn?

The app is coded to use WAP2 trans - the strange issue is that WAP2 trans is working in certain locations/carriers. While not working with others.

What we found is that in those locations/carriers where the app does not work - if we add the APN settings the app works.

There are even some cases where APN settings also do not help.

The only conculsion we have been able to draw is that that carrier/location has a data conenctivity issue. However we find that some apps, that are perhaps using BIS-B connectivity, work.

Have read you other posts and seen that BIS-B is most likely to work best. Have applied for the same and hopefully this should help resolve.

Developer
peter_strange

BIS-B is a useful option and one that I would suggest for you.

My confusion is this.

"What we found is that in those locations/carriers where the app does not work - if we add the APN settings the app works."

Normally when you are using WAP2 you add a connection suffix to the URL that specifies a connection id.  If you specify this, the BlackBerry will not, as far as I was aware, attempt to use Carrier TCP.  So when you say you are adding APN information, are you in fact changing the suffix you add to the connection URL?

New Contributor
mobimasta

Currently we have coded a sort of priority >> App is first checking in the app if wifi is available, if not, we use APN and if both are not available we use WAP 2 connection. In all the case the appropraiate suffix is added to the URL.

Developer
peter_strange

OK, clear now.  Thanks

Short answer to your question, go for BIS-B if you can get it. otherwise what you are doing is the best option. 

Have you seen this?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Sample-HTTP-Connection-code-and-BIS-B-Access...

BTW, should have said this earlier, welcome to the forum.

New Contributor
mobimasta

Thanks for the latest link. Will get back to it once we start integrating BIS-B. 

This forum is quite a lifesaver.. not easy to get info on bb dev easily!! Thanks for maintaining / responding regularly. Cheers.

Will get back on how it goes and whether all works well!

New Contributor
mobimasta

Hi Peter,

Hope you are well.. Wish you a merry x'mas.

Refer our trialing discussion, we have actually been able to get acess to BIS connectivity but are facing some issues -  we are using the follwoing query string in our application http://174.37.243.134/IBM/API.asmx/GetVideo?deviceside=false;ConnectionType=(parameter as per BIS documentation);

However this does not seem to be invoking the BIS connection from the device - any idea what parameters we need to use for BIS in 'deviceside' and 'ConnectionType' ? ( can any parameters from the service book entry IPPP on BIBS be used?)

Developer
peter_strange

don't forget that connection strings are prefixed with the ";".  That appears to be be your problem.

New Contributor
mobimasta

Hi Peter,

We have now placed the ";" connection strings 

http://174.37.243.134;deviceside=false;ConnectionType=param;

";" is placed before and after deviceside=false and also before and after ConnectionType=param but even then its not invoking.

But still not working. We tried to reach BIS team but no luck there despite several follow-ups!

Are we still getting it the above string wrong? - also do not that other connections like wap2 are working, the app is just unable to invoke BIS. Not usre if that because of ";" or could there be some other issue.

Are there any more details i can share with you that might help identify the issue?