Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
michbex
My Device: Not Specified

Keep Backlight on - Security Idle Timer permission necessary?

Hi,

I tried the search but did not find anything that answers my question.

I know how to extend the backlight using Backlight.enable(...), but this call needs SECURITY_IDLE_TIMER permission, which can be (and per default is) turned of on BES servers.

Is there any other way to extend the backlight without the need for this permission? Can I send any system events that keep the light on?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

-Michael

New Developer
d_bb
My Device: RIM Storm

Re: Keep Backlight on - Security Idle Timer permission necessary?

Use Event injector with a timer to keep the backlight on by injecting trackball events.

-D

New Developer
michbex

Thanks, I thought of that, but I would require PERMISSION_INPUT_SIMULATION, which is not allowed per default either.

There most be a way?!?!

Developer

I recall that on some older OSes (in particular pre-5.0) there Idle Timer Reset permission wasn't required for keeping the backlight on.

The Security Timer Reset is Disallowed for a reason by default, especially in corporate environments. If an application can reset the security timer, it can secretly keep the device unlocked making it much easier to compromise the device. If your application is trusted not to keep the device unlocked for too long, then the BES admin could be persuaded to grant your application the permission in the IT Policy.