Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
sagar_e
My Device: Not Specified

Latest development in Blackberry any clues?

Hi All,

I have a certain questions can anyone please help with with them any links or pointers would help out. Basically what i want to do is develop an application so was doing trying to do the analaysis and had following questions

1) What is the percentage of application downloads from blackberry appstore out of the users having a blackberry device ? Which Blackberry device has the maximum user base and which has model has the maximum download from appstore.

2)In comparision with iphone or android what is the percentage of application downloads on blackberry any link for this would be great.

3)Is rim planning to come up with some new and better devices in near future for competition with android devices or iphone or ipad.

I basically want an answer for all this devices so that based on it i can device which platform should i target first for my application development. Blackberry experts waiting for your reply.

Thanks,

Sagar

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sagar_e

Re: Latest development in Blackberry any clues?

Hi All,

Blackberry experts waiting for ur replies plz.

Thanks,

Sagar

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I think the questions you ask are impossible for anyone on this forum to answer. 

1) If you want the real figures for BlackBerry devices you will need to ask RIM, all we can tell you about is our applications which of course are only representative for our target audience. 

And the picture is very different in the consumer and corporate markets. 

2) With respect to Android and iPhone, unless we have applications running in these markets, how would we know?

3) Anyone who knew anything about forthcoming, unannounced RIM devices would be bound by some legal agreement not to say anything. 

The general question "which platform should I target?" comes up reasonably frequently.   Here are some answers that might help with this:

a) The vast majority of App World downloads are 4.6 and above

b) You should develop your application to target the broadest possible range of devices, but there is little value is targeting anything that has an OS older than 4.2. 

c) Which level of OS you target will depend on functionality your app requires, for example, if you want SQL, then only use 5.0. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
laliux
My Device: Bold

I believe that depends absolutely  on what type of application is yours.

If help, I can comment the case of my application with barely a month in the AppWorld.

Main devices Curve 8520, 8530 and Bold 9700, 9000. I think that the next device in this list will be the other Bold, 9650.
Downloads per day for demo version, 80. Downloads per day for purchase,  4.

Also, check this recent article about the top apps in AppWorld.

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2010/06/03/highest-paid-and-free-applications-in-blackberry-app-world/

Greetings

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sagar_e

Hi laliux what was the type of your application can u please elaborate and plz let me know the name of your of your application. Basically what i believe is on blackberry more of email or push applications would work more i mean would have more downloads compared to multimedia sort of applications plz correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,

Sagar

Please use plain text.
Developer
laliux

I'm absolutely agree with you sagar_e, BlackBerry needs more this type of applications, for entertainment.

My application is precisely in this category, Photo&Video -> Photography.

You can search and buy my app, haha :smileyhappy:

Take a look for MiniPaint.

Bye

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jacobtabak
My Device: N/A

I went over some data recently: http://jacobtabak.com/blog/?p=4

Please use plain text.
Developer
laliux

Great post Jacob, very significant and informative.

:smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sagar_e

hi  jacobtabak,

Thx a lot for ur response this is straight forward i have to target OS 5.0 it seems Also plz let me know if you have any more statistic links and comparision of blackberry application downloads with android and iphone.

Thanks,

Sagar

Please use plain text.