Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
JWilsonIV
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

Legal Issues Using- Implement advanced buttons, fields, and managers

In regards to the information here:

Advanced UI

Can we use use this code in apps we intend to distribute?

All the source is labeled

Research In Motion Limited proprietary and confidential
Copyright Research In Motion Limited, 2008-2008

Furthermore, at the bottom of the page: (b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.

So do we have the express written consent of RIM to modify, distribute or reproduce this code?

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: Legal Issues Using- Implement advanced buttons, fields, and managers

It already is used in a couple apps, I remember seeing one of the more popular "unified messaging" apps using the same exact (down to the same glitches that can occur) bubble code (the NegativeMargins example).

Maybe just mention it but I think you are free to use the code.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JWilsonIV
My Device: Storm

I am planning on using it, but would love to get some definitive feedback.  

Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Bold 9900

I definitely complained about this at length during severable of the feedback-oriented "Developer Day" sessions at the 2010 Developer Conference (on Thursday).  Hopefully they'll get the message, as this is a major concern.  Its even more of a concern for open-source developers like me, who also want to redistribute our source code.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Understandable, I'm just stating what I have observed.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Developer
YamilBracho
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Movistar

Le me tell you a funny story:

When you include those packages in your app, the packgae started with com.rim.XXXX.XXXX and when you deploy on th phone you got a beautiful message "Error starting yourApp. YourApp may not conatin classes in com.rim, net.rim, net.blackberry, java or javax packages"

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

Really? That's interesting.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
phoenix1
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am trying to use a UI element from this link. Is it possible to reuse? Is there any resolution? Is there any other open-source UI module similar to this for blackberry version 4.5?

My app is a commercial one.

Regards,

Phoenix

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

You are free to use any and all sample code within your applications.  The copyright tags within the code will be removed soon.  The package will also be fixed so that it can be used on a real BlackBerry Smartphone (this was not intentional).  That error is described here:

Restricted Package Names

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Restricted-Package-Names/ta-p/444903

The legal text within the KB article itself refers to the content within the KB article (text, images, etc...).

The license agreement for the BlackBerry SDKs also covers sample code:

http://us.blackberry.com/legal/sdkla.jsp

This part of it pertains to sample code:

To the extent that Distributable Source Code is provided as part of the SDK, You may use, modify and compile the Distributable Source Code solely for the purposes of developing Your Applications. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You may not modify any header files included in the SDKs.
(f) You may distribute any Distributable Code provided that You shall: (i) add significant primary functionality to it in Your Applications; (ii) distribute such code in executable form only; (iii) include the following copyright notice within Your Application's source code in the same locations as Your own copyright notice (and if You do not include a copyright notice, then at least on one of the packaging, manuals or "about" box): "Portions copyright (c) 2002-2010 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved."; (iv) not provide a separate price for or charge a license fee or royalty for the Distributable Code distinct from the fee You charge for Your Applications; and (v) not distribute, link or integrate the Distributable Code such that any part of it becomes subject to an Open Source License. In addition You shall require users of Your Applications to agree to the following minimum license terms applicable to the Distributable Code: (A) the license granted is a non-exclusive, terminable license for user to use the Distributable Code only on or in conjunction with Your Application; (B) except for the limited license to use the Distributable Code on or in conjunction with Your Application, the user acquires no intellectual property or other proprietary rights, including, without limitation, patents, designs, trademarks, copyright or rights in any confidential information in or related to the Distributable Code; (C) Reverse Engineering the Distributable Code is prohibited, except to the extent that You are expressly precluded by law from imposing such restrictions; (D) the user must cease all use of the Distributable Code within a reasonable period of time following expiration or termination of the license agreement; (E) RIM, specifically, or as one of Your suppliers, shall not be liable to user for any damages whatsoever; (F) the user shall import, export, re-export and use the Distributable Code only in accordance with the laws and regulations of the of the country(ies) and/or territory(ies) in which the Distributable Code is used, imported, exported and/or re-exported; (G) You make no warranties, express or implied, related to the Distributable Code on RIM's behalf to users of the Applications that include Distributable Code; and (H) the user shall not alter any copyright, trademark or patent notice in the Distributable Code. For the purposes of this Agreement, an "Open Source License" is any license which requires, as a condition of use, modification, and/or distribution of any software subject to such license that such software and other software incorporated into, integrated with, derived from and/or distributed with such software be: (1) disclosed or distributed in source code form; (2) licensed for the purposes of making modifications or derivative works; (3) permitted to be Reverse Engineered; (4) reproduced and/or redistributed at no or minimal charge; and/or (5) otherwise distributed on terms that impede the ability to distribute and license such software as the licensor of such software sees fit.

To the extent that Distributable Source Code is provided as part of the SDK, You may use, modify and compile the Distributable Source Code solely for the purposes of developing Your Applications. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You may not modify any header files included in the SDKs.(f) You may distribute any Distributable Code provided that You shall: (i) add significant primary functionality to it in Your Applications; (ii) distribute such code in executable form only; (iii) include the following copyright notice within Your Application's source code in the same locations as Your own copyright notice (and if You do not include a copyright notice, then at least on one of the packaging, manuals or "about" box): "Portions copyright (c) 2002-2010 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved."; (iv) not provide a separate price for or charge a license fee or royalty for the Distributable Code distinct from the fee You charge for Your Applications; and (v) not distribute, link or integrate the Distributable Code such that any part of it becomes subject to an Open Source License. In addition You shall require users of Your Applications to agree to the following minimum license terms applicable to the Distributable Code: (A) the license granted is a non-exclusive, terminable license for user to use the Distributable Code only on or in conjunction with Your Application; (B) except for the limited license to use the Distributable Code on or in conjunction with Your Application, the user acquires no intellectual property or other proprietary rights, including, without limitation, patents, designs, trademarks, copyright or rights in any confidential information in or related to the Distributable Code; (C) Reverse Engineering the Distributable Code is prohibited, except to the extent that You are expressly precluded by law from imposing such restrictions; (D) the user must cease all use of the Distributable Code within a reasonable period of time following expiration or termination of the license agreement; (E) RIM, specifically, or as one of Your suppliers, shall not be liable to user for any damages whatsoever; (F) the user shall import, export, re-export and use the Distributable Code only in accordance with the laws and regulations of the of the country(ies) and/or territory(ies) in which the Distributable Code is used, imported, exported and/or re-exported; (G) You make no warranties, express or implied, related to the Distributable Code on RIM's behalf to users of the Applications that include Distributable Code; and (H) the user shall not alter any copyright, trademark or patent notice in the Distributable Code. For the purposes of this Agreement, an "Open Source License" is any license which requires, as a condition of use, modification, and/or distribution of any software subject to such license that such software and other software incorporated into, integrated with, derived from and/or distributed with such software be: (1) disclosed or distributed in source code form; (2) licensed for the purposes of making modifications or derivative works; (3) permitted to be Reverse Engineered; (4) reproduced and/or redistributed at no or minimal charge; and/or (5) otherwise distributed on terms that impede the ability to distribute and license such software as the licensor of such software sees fit.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I have also removed the confidential and proprietary notices from the sample code of this article.  It should be online soon.

It will appear here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Implement-advanced-buttons-fields-and-manage...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.