Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
KenSpiewak
My Device: Not Specified

Live Video. Audio, GPS broadcast/streaming

Can anyone advise as to how to stream live video (and Audio and GPS if possible) to my own server? Is there an example of this in the current JDE? Ideally I would like to combine the video stream with audio and gps coordinate data so that I can utilize it within an ASP application. Any direction or examples would be most appreciated, Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Live Video. Audio, GPS broadcast/streaming

The BlackBerry API set does not currently support programmatic video capture.  Your application can access a video file after the user has finished recording and saved it.  However, this prevents the live streaming you are trying to accomplish.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Is there anything to prevent programmatic capture of a series of stills and audio?

For example, if I wanted to use the phone as a security/monitoring device in a foreclosure or hotel room

could I do this ok?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
KenSpiewak

Thanks for the message Mark. However, I have been working with QIK over the past few days and now have a solution working on my Storm? They have obviously figured out how to use the JDE and API to accomplish this. This includes audio as well. How can they be doing it then?

Ken Spiewak

Developer

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

It is possible to programmatically record audio and take picutres.  This may be what they are doing.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
RuiTrindade

Hi, I'm working on the same issue here.

So if Qik is recording audio and taking pictures programmatically how come there is a .3GP file relative to the streamed video added to the device's memory? Is there any way to convert photo+audio to video?

Also notice that while the streaming process, Qik's main screen is the video camera main screen, which suggest that they are in fact invoking the video camera.

Does anyone have a clue about this?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
amitg95
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi Ken,

I had a similar kind of issue where i want to achieve one way video calling between two blackberry devices. I want to use the video camera of the blackberry device to stream the video to a remote server, and then to the other blackberry device at the receiving end.

My reqirement is to do this in real time using wifi or 3G network.

I found some applications in the market that have achieved streaming video from blackberry device like Qik and Livecast.

If you can share the technique that you have used for your storm, that would be really very helpful to me to begin with.

Thanks

Amit

Please use plain text.