Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Loading app store apps on test device

I want to test my app on several types of real devices (not just simulators), so I picked up a used phone. I can load and test my own app on it just fine.

What I would like to do is load some other apps on it for comparison purposes, but when I try to go to the app store on my PC I get this:

The Item is not available for your Device Model, Device OS, Carrier and Country combination.
The test phone doesn't have a data plan, or WiFi (it has bluetooth), so how can I download apps to it? Any ideas?
I know this isn't a Java Development question, but I thought this might be the place to ask as some of you may have done this before?

Super Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Loading app store apps on test device

I guess the problem is in WiFi, I think your phone has to support WiFi to download apps from the AppWorld. We also have used phones, but all of them has WiFi and we are able to install different apps from the market.  Can you please specify your phone?

Developer

It  is a Storm 9530.

Super Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

You can not download apps from AppWorld unless you have a cellular connection.

If you are looking to test apps that you have developed yourself you can load them with either the javaloader or the desktop manager.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer

Seems clear about AppWorld (thanks for the link @tolmachevroman) , but what about sidestepping AppWorld? Since I can load my own app through the desktop manager, and there are other apps that can be loaded that way (Opera mini for example), is there any other way to do this? Can I copy an app from one device to my PC and then load it on a different device? I'm only talking about free apps (not looking to cheat anybody, but maybe that's the reason this won't be possible?).