Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
beren
My Device: Bold 9000
Accepted Solution

Localization Demo

I was giving the Localization Demo a shot. The app compiles ok in JDE 3.6, but when I deploy it to a simulator (the 8100 AT&T sim) I get a runtime error:

Uncaught exception: Missing resource com.rim.samples.device.localizationdemo.LocalizationDemo

Is there a good doc that describes how the localization works? I can see a reference to a interface in the code called " LocalizationDemoResourc", but I can't seem to fin where this interface is actually implemented. 

Any help would be great. 

beren

beren erchamion
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Localization Demo

Sorry, I have to ask, why are you using JDE 3.6I hope this is a typo and you meant 4.6?

You should be aware of the "forwards but not backwards" compatibility with JDE and OS Level in the device, so you must use a JDE that is less than or the same as the target deviceTo find the OS level on a device or Simulator, Use Options-->About.  I think you will find the OS Level in 8100 sim is 4.2 or 4.3, so the latest JDE you can use is 4.2 or 4.3.

Finally the answer to your original questionI would review the "Localizing BlackBerry Java Applications" in the Development Guide.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

the interface is completed internally. you need the rrh+rrc files added to your project, they contain the localisation.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
beren

[ Edited ]

Whoops, yeah sorry I meant 4.6.

Thanks for the replies. I'll read thru that doc more carefully - I did skim thru it. What I was trying to do now was compile and deploy the sample app from the SDK to my simulator. Once I saw that work right I was going to read thru the doc in detail using that app (LocalizationDemo) to refer to actual code that I could play with. 

beren

Message Edited by beren on 10-13-2008 07:36 AM
beren erchamion
Please use plain text.
Developer
beren

Not sure what I was doing wrong before. I went in and did a clean and rebuild and the app works now. I tried it in both the eclipse plugin and in JDE 4.6. Pretty cool!

beren

beren erchamion
Please use plain text.
Developer
sandeepkumar03
My Device: Not Specified

Hi Beren,

I was also trying to understand the localization feature. Some doubts  i have

In BlackBerry JDE 4.7 - Do we have to create seperate project for laguage resource and then use in main project? Can't we create directly in main project?

In Eclipse IDE - I tried New -> Other -> Resource File. But when i try to add file to <project_location>/resources. I am getting error "Selected parent location must be under 'src' folder". Not sure what is the problem here. Can't we create resource file similar to sample givein with Blackberry JDE in resource folder?

Please provide your inputs.

Thanks in advance,

Sandeep

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Resource files can be packaged within your application or they could reside in a separate library project.  A library project is recommended if multiple applications will reference the same resource files.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.