Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
ichie
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Smart

Location Based Services

Hi All,

I've been looking around the forums for posts about the Location Based Services offered by Blackberry. Most of the posts I've read states that when using autonomous GPS mode, the device must be on the line of sight of the satellites. Is there a way for me to get the coordinates (lat/long) of the device even when I'm inside a building? Can we use Cell Tower triangulation to determine the location of the device? Is this the same with the CellSite GPS mode?

I've read about posts pointing to this URL:

http://www.anddev.org/poor_mans_gps_-_celltowerid_-_location_area_code_-lookup-t257.html

but I can't seem to make it work.

Thanks,

Ichie

Please use plain text.
Developer
Eugen
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Re: Location Based Services

Hi Ichie,

I don't know exactly implementation of BB tower fixes. My think that RIM or Carriers have similar to Google database or even cell tower reports about it's hardcoded GPS coordinates. But it's not the same process that Google Maps uses for getting your first approximate location.

What I found that BB tower fixes work bad inside building also.

Thanks,

Eugen

Please use plain text.
Developer
DAquilina
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

You don't actually have to be able to physically see sky to have satellite alignment. Mind you, it's more difficult to get a fix from inside, but it's not impossible. In any case, there is also Cellsite and Assisted fix modes, but they require payment, to the best of my knowledge. These can be accessed by modifying the criteria which gets associated to the LocationProvider Object.

Hope that helps,

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ichie

Thanks for your reply.

@Eugen,

It's ok if it's not that accurate as long as I get a coordinate. Do you know any ways to make that work in an application?

@DAquilina

We can't get seem to get the GPS working inside a building. How do you make it work inside a building. I've also tried the CellSite and Assisted mode but it also doesn't seem to work. Do I need something from the carriers to make this work? It's also ok if it incurs costs. 

I'm using Bold 9700 for testing the application. We also tried refreshing the GPS inside Options > Advanced Options > GPS but refreshing fails. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ichie

Please use plain text.
Developer
DAquilina

To be honest I'm not sure why it works, but my 9700 can get a tentative fix from inside my cubicle at work. Maybe you have a shielded roof? One surefire way to block the signal is with some kind of metal sheet/covering.

Sorry,

~Dom

chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ichie

Well, I've tried using the app inside a mall and there are some locations inside the mall where I can get a fix. Probably the roof ain't that thick enough to block the signal. Is there a document somewhere which contains some best practices when dealing with Location Based Services for Blackberry? Not a document for beginners but an advance document when developing using Blackberry GPS.

Thanks,

Ichie

Please use plain text.
Developer
DAquilina

Well, there's this (video). Beyond that, you might try checking the knowledge base or the development guide. There are also a few books that Peter reviewed here on the forums that may be of help, though I can't speak to that personally.

chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Please use plain text.