Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

LocationProvider Criteria settings - require fast GPS lock, good accuracy

I have read many docs regarding Criteria selection which try to explain how the various settings affect the mode used but I am not getting the real-world results that I would like. My lock times are still slow as compared with BB maps and I am loosing accuracy.

I would like to use the AGPS modes with fast lock time and accuracy on the order of 0 to 30 meters(ish). Currently my lock times are very high (30 seconds) as compared with BB maps.

Should I set an accuracy for H/V? How does setAlt, SetSpeed affect results? What have other people used and what should I expect from the different combinations?

Here is my Criteria object:

criteria.setHorizontalAccuracy(Criteria.NO_REQUIREMENT);
        criteria.setVerticalAccuracy(Criteria.NO_REQUIREMENT);
        criteria.setCostAllowed(true);
        criteria.setPreferredPowerConsumption(Criteria.POWER_USAGE_HIGH);       

criteria.setAltitudeRequired(false);
        criteria.setSpeedAndCourseRequired(false);
        criteria.setAddressInfoRequired(false);

New Developer

Re: LocationProvider Criteria settings - require fast GPS lock, good accuracy

My understanding is that cell site and AGPS are only available on CDMA networks (GSM uses a different technology for implemeting e911 functionality, which is where this stuff is from).  My testing has shown that Sprint supports it, but others do not (at least not by default).

If others have different experiences, I would also like to hear about it.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

The following article explains the fix types based on criteria combinations for GSM BlackBerry handhelds.  A new article should be posted soon that provides further detail for CDMA devices.  When posted, it will appear here: http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe?func=ll&objId=800703&objAction=browse

How To - Define criteria to retrieve a GPS fix
Article Number: DB-00461

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800703/How_To_...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Thanks, I have seen variations of this document (however this one is more clear).

As a follow up. Does anybody know what criteria BB maps is using. A client of mine is complaining that BB maps has a much quicker lock time than my application yet I am using Assisted/Autonomous mode. Without using simple cellcite mode I'm not sure what else I can do. 

Retired

The Criteria that BB Maps uses depends on the device and the carrier.  For GSM devices, they use Criteria for defining an autonomous GPS fix, setting costAllowed to false.  For CDMA devices, they'll be defining Criteria for MS Based fixes. 

Once you've acquired first fix, to ensure that subsequent fixes come in quickly, define your interval to less than or equal to 10 seconds, keeping the chip hot.

Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
New Developer

Thanks. According to the LocationProvider documents provided previously CellSite mode is not supported. Is that a carrier specific or blackberry specific limitation?

For example:

costAllowed = TRUE

horizontalAccuracy > 0

powerUsage = LOW

As explained in "JSR179 Criteria -> gpsOne Mode mapping for CDMA devices" (shaque), I understand the CDMA will support other modes that GSM. I am using Rogers (GSM).

Developer
Developer

It's carrier specific.  I can get CellSite mode to work on Sprint but not Verizon.