Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
mdimen
My Device: Not Specified

Looking for database app

Folks:

I'm looking for either an existing app, or a programmer to construct one.  This project is for an electrical contractor, who wishes to move to the Blackberry platform.  Goals are twofold:  (1) create a standardized materials database, from which a field foreman can search/pick and place an order with a pre-specified supplier via email.  Email will be copied to home office for review, and this copy will include pricing data (estimated) which might ultimately flow into the accounting system as a provisional expense item. (2) interface with payroll service company to receive payroll data from foreman on a weekly basis.  Interface will include copy to home office as well. 

These interfaces may be web-based, or may reside on Blackberry (I'm not sure of BB's capabilities).

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Michael

Developer
marchywka
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Looking for database app

I'm not sure if you are thinking about a DB on the BB as it sounds like you need a designer but

I'd be curious to get more discussion on this thread from somone wanting a DB on the BB,

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=4033#M4033

Certainly web based approaches require less specialized development and generally the BB browser

seems to work ( please see my other posts on Browser board as there are several exceptions including

an inability to post on yahoo finanace mesage boards).

I'm working on a custom browser if you need something like that we are always interested but it probably isn't hard

to write a gui app either. The basic app wouldn't be much different from,say, something that let's you place a togo food order

while driving( and sends a copy to your budget monitoring spouse for veto, LOL). I'm thinking about ways that an end-consumer can do something similar.