Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
joek
My Device: 9530
Accepted Solution

MDS simulator not (correctly?) using rimpublic.property

I'm trying to test an application that handles cookies on it's own, so I've tried changing this rimpublic.property setting:

application.handler.http.CookieSupport = false

but the MDS simulator still handles cookies.  I then changed the WebServer.listen.port value to 8010, and the MDS simulator still loads the web server at the default port 8080. So it would seem that the MDS Simulator isn't reading the rimpublic.property file correctly. Initially I was having file access problems with Vista so I changed the permissions on everything below the "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0\MDS" directory so that all users have all permissions. That still hasn't helped the problem though. Anyone have any thoughts or information why this might be happening?

I'm running JDE v4.7.0, and modifying this file specifically:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0\MDS\config\rimpublic.property

Thanks,

Joe

Developer
RexDoug
My Device: Not Specified

Re: MDS simulator not (correctly?) using rimpublic.property

Joe,

I have not tried these particular settings, but I do have quite a bit of stuff in this property file and it seems to work OK.

However, I see that you are running on Vista, and there are a lot of gotchas.

For example, you might be changing the file in "C:\Program Files" but Vista has virtualized this file elsewhere on the disk. 

For example: (substitute your login account for "user")

User\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.7\mds\...etc...etc

Here you will probably find another copy of your RimPublic.properties file.

Developer
joek

Thanks for your reply. I checked that location and there is a copy of the file there, but it has the same modifications I made to the one in the Program Files location.  I fired up Process Monitor as well and when the simulator runs, it is definitely accessing that file (the one at C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0\MDS). And if I rename the file, the simulator fails.
Developer
joek

Well in case someone comes across the same problem, I managed to get this working finally.

I reinstalled everything -- the JDE, all my simulators, and the JDE Component Package (this may not have been necessary, since I didn't try the next step until after I did this -- twice). Then in the JDE I set the MDS-CS simulator directory to use the version installed by the component package installer at "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE Component Package 4.7.0\MDS" (Edit->Preferences, MDS-CS Simulator tab). I also had to change the properties of that directory and give the Users group full control. And of course the rimpublic.properties file is now the one in the "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE Component Package 4.7.0\MDS\config" directory.

It's working, but one problem is the MDS-CS instance doesn't shut down automatically when I close the simulator. But I can live with that.