Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
amj_wind
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Maps Overlay

Hi -

Is there a way to do an overlay between 2 points (coordinates are known) on BBMaps?

I would like to do something similar to the purple think overlay that comes when you look

for directions.

Thanks

amod

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
mkirkup

Re: Maps Overlay

In the 4.5 release, we have released a new API called MapField (net.rim.device.api.lbs.MapField) which would allow your application to take over full control of the BlackBerry Maps application including the ability to overlay any graphics on the map that you would like.

There is a sample in the 4.5 JDE called MapFieldDemo that outlines how you can leverage this new capability.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
bzubert

Note that MapField involves embedding the field within your application.  If you're just looking to launch BlackBerry Maps, drawing a the purple line from point to point, this function can be accomplished using the GetRoute XML tag in your Invoke call.  Please see the following document for more information.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800703/How_To_...

Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
New Developer
ptyson
My Device: 8110

Is there a way to determine if BlackBerry Maps is actually installed and running on a device?  AT&T/Verizon do not install the BlackBerry Maps Application and if people add it later then it still doesn't work.  If one invokes the application it gives a null pointer exception.  Can we determine ahead of the Invoke that it will actually work?

Thanks,

Peter

Please use plain text.
bzubert

One option is to check for the presence of BlackBerry Maps using CodeModuleManager.getModuleHandle(String name), passing in the name of the COD file for BlackBerry Maps.  To determine the name of the COD file, on a device running BlackBerry Maps, you can either go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications, and select the BlackBerry Maps application to see which modules make up the app, or you can use javaloader to get a listing of all modules on the device:  javaloader -u dir
Brian Zubert
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
New Developer
amj_wind

Thanks, the map field demo works well for me.

Two followup questions:

1) Can existing devices upgrade to 4.5 version?

2) If not, do you have an idea when devices with version 4.5 hit the market in the US?

Please use plain text.
bzubert

Yes, existing devices can be upgraded to 4.5.  8300 series, 8800 series, 8100 series, and the 8700 can all be upgraded to 4.5.  Release dates will vary from carrier to carrier with many already distributing this software today. 
Brian Zubert
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
New Developer
azeroual

Hi,
I need to embed maps in one of my applications. The problem is I need to support versions 4.2 and up... What options do I have?

thanks for your help
Ali

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

There are no APIs in the BlackBerry API set to support this in version 4.2.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
yyhokenny
My Device: Simulator

Has anyone tried the MapFieldDemo on the Bold (BB9000) simulator?  It doesn't seem to capture trackball movement.  Does later version of the OS still uses the navigationMovement to capture trackball movements?  (I am developing on 4.6)
Please use plain text.