Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
SaurabhGadkari
My Device: Not Specified

Maps application problems

Hello everyone.

I am trying to develop an application that uses MapField, but before that, I need to get Maps application working.

I am trying to use the BlackBerry Maps application on a 8900 simulator. However, I am facing loads of problems.

When I try to use the maps app in the simulator, it opens as a greenish-gray screen with black diagonal lines. Also, when I try to search for a location, the MDS does not show any activity. The last message in the MDS is

<2009-07-17 18:04:31.840 IST>:[72]:<MDS-CS_MDS>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, EVENT = St
atistics save task finished -- number of rows inserted:5>

A third doubt as well. Sometimes, the maps application throws a network error.

Are all these problems related? And how do I overcome them?

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Re: Maps application problems

lol,  This was about one of the few things that seemed to work pretty much right away-  I didn't try the demo but

just plopped in a MapField into an app. Keep in mind the hidden ops are  quite

involved as it needs to get the map info form somwhere so not only does local stuff need to work but some far

away thing needs to talk to you too.But, it seems to be as easy as any other Field.

The greys will stay if location is nonsensical- the factor is 1e5 and

IIRC order is y,x ( not x,y). This is a nice feature and I used it in a browser app for testing and made my first

plugin for the standard browser ( the hardest part was getting stupid cold fusion to respond with the right

mime type - some what of an exaggeration as I blame everything on cold fusion but the map thing was amazingly

easy). I've also got my own vector maps for web and <4.5 to get comprehensive coverage but on 4.5+ this

seems like a nice feature. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Did you start the GPS simulation also?

In the JDE, pull down the "Simulate" menu and select "GPS"

You'll then need to select a location to simulate, or add one of you own.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
SaurabhGadkari

[ Edited ]

I have already tried that, but it still did not work. So I don't think that's the problem. I also checked the messages in the JDE console, and this particular message intrugued me.

GPSProvider: removing listener: net.rim.device.apps.internal.lbs.MapScreen@f206d16b
MapScreen: Stopping Navigation.

FYI - when I say "start GPS navigation" in the menu of the Maps app, the dashboard shows a kind of tilted satellite, with a kind of wave propogation symbol, like ")))", albiet a little conical. I'm assuming this means that the GPS simulation works.

Moving on, after changing my google search query for probably the zillionth time, I found somewhere that the Maps application will only work from countries which are listed on the following link.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/blackberry_maps.jsp#tab_tab_coverage

So, does that mean that I cannot run any map tile, not even for say Malaysia (which is listed), from here in India (which is, sadly, not listed)? If that is the problem, then I am sorry to have wasted your time.

Message Edited by SaurabhGadkari on 07-20-2009 05:18 PM
Please use plain text.
New Developer
SaurabhGadkari

I need to give the confirmation within a hour. Can anybody please confirm it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

I guess it is possibly geo restricted but AFAIK that page just shows data coverage. If you put in an uncovered location

into a mapfield, you do get the line pattern. Personally I'd suggest just putting a MapField onto a screen and see what happens

without the demo. If the demo gets coords from GPS that is another thing that can go wrong. Make a map field and

set location to something in north america- New York city is good and remember coord order and scale factor.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
SaurabhGadkari

I have tried using the MapField as well, and set the coordinates to various locations around the world, among which I tried Ontario and New York. I just get a field similar to the Maps, albiet without the diagonal line pattern (I get a plain greenish-gray background, nothing else). But this works the same, irrespective of the coordinates provided, i.e., it works the same for New York as for Mumbai.
Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

That was almost as far as I bothered to look for initial testing. I had gotten at least one feature in one location and I haven't

gotten back to it- not sure it was "right" but it wasn't blank.

The lines mean invalid, not sure what features you can get on a valid location. I think I had one road

with no labels and stopped looking. I've got the feature disabled right now of I could try to find better location.

I guess it is possible that you have a valid but empty location in both spots.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
SaurabhGadkari

Thanks.

I'll get back to trying to make the Maps App work.

If I can just get the confirmation that it is indeed geo restricted, I could proceed a lot faster.

Please use plain text.