Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Midlet-Name in the *.jad file of a library.

hello group,

i have just taken my fist steps into the blackberry application development by writing a few small test application with the help of the eclipse plugin (eclipse 3.6.2 ; blackberry java plug-in 1.5.0.201110141512).

experimenting a little bit with the different application types (e.g. blackberry application, midlet and library) i stumbled upon something i can't quite understand: if i build an application of type library where does the value of the field midlet-name in the created jad-file come from? the midlet-name is by the way exactly what my library is listed by in the application management list on the device (Curve 9300, OS 6.0.0.570)?

i was trying to change the midlet-name of my libray by adjusting the title field in blackberry_app_descriptor.xml, however, to no success. i even changed my eclipse project name, java package names, Main class name etc. nothing seems to help. any suggestions?

thanks,

emma

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Midlet-Name in the *.jad file of a library.

[ Edited ]

Hello Emma,

The title within your blackberry_app_descriptor.xml will change what your application is called on the home screen, but not what it shows up as under Application Management.

The Application Management name will come from the MIDlet-Name, which is derived from your project name. To modify the name there, you can right-click on your project in the Project Explorer and select Refactor > Rename... to modify the value after a project has been created.

You can also modify the .JAD file directly; though there are two caveats:

1. The .JAD file is re-created each time you build your application with its default values; and
  2. You have to load the application via the .JAD file (i.e. over-the-air download, Javaloader via .JAD, etc.). If you just use JavaLoader directly on the .COD, or you load via .ALX (i.e. Desktop Manager) then the .JAD properties will not be applied.

EDIT: Small addition, with the latest plug-in, Eclipse's Load Project(s) on Device is a .JAD load.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything up there, or if refactoring doesn't work out.

Erik Oros

BlackBerry Development Advisor

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.