Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
kevins963
My Device: Not Specified

Mobile to Mobile Socket Programming

Hi I am trying to develop an application for the blackberry that i can connect one phone to another and transfer data between the two using a TCP or UDP connection.  I don't believe the blackberry allow direct connection between phone over the carriers private network.

So are there any examples on how you can do it over the internet such as creating a php or perl script that will bridge the connection between the phone to transfer data?

Or if there is another way to do it not using an internet socket to bridge the connect would be helpful too.  I would have the individuals number on the phone too, so we would know where the data is suppose to be going to.

And I cannot do this over the WiFi or Bluetooth because the data needs to be transfered where WiFi access is not in range.

Any help would be very much appriciated!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: Mobile to Mobile Socket Programming

You might consider using BlackberryMessenger as your device-to-device transport.

The TicTacToe demo shipping with the JDE illustrates this by employing BBM to send moves to the other phone for a two-player game.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I agree with RexDoug's suggestion:

Also:

"don't believe the blackberry allow direct connection between phone over the carriers private network"

I am not aware of how this could be done either, except via WiFi, though i am not familiar with UDP.  .

"So are there any examples on how you can do it over the internet"

Not that I am aware of.

"I would have the individuals number on the phone too"

SMS?  Email?  Not serious suggestions, just making sure you had thought of them. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Aviator168
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

kevins963 wrote:

Hi I am trying to develop an application for the blackberry that i can connect one phone to another and transfer data between the two using a TCP or UDP connection.  I don't believe the blackberry allow direct connection between phone over the carriers private network.

So are there any examples on how you can do it over the internet such as creating a php or perl script that will bridge the connection between the phone to transfer data?

Or if there is another way to do it not using an internet socket to bridge the connect would be helpful too.  I would have the individuals number on the phone too, so we would know where the data is suppose to be going to.

And I cannot do this over the WiFi or Bluetooth because the data needs to be transfered where WiFi access is not in range.

Any help would be very much appriciated!

Thanks

I only know how to do this in UDP. If you require reliable data transfer, you have do that on top of UDP. Kind of like TCP over UDP.

Please use plain text.