Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Mock-up/Wireframing tools for BB

Dear all,

we would like to create a BB application (target devices most likely BB Curve 8520/ 9300, OS 5 and 6). Prior to the development, we would like to create mock-ups, depicting the screens to be implemented. We have done some research and found a great number of tools for creating high-level, sketch-like, mock-ups. Can you recommend (preferably freeware/open-source) tools allowing for the creation of more realistic mock-ups using true BB GUI elements?

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Markus

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Mock-up/Wireframing tools for BB

basically, there are none.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Hi Simon,

thanks for your quick reply. I cannot believe that there are no tools at all for wireframing BB applications. We have found some tools like Keynotopia or Axure during our research but these applications are not free/open-source and we are not sure about the quality of the contained stencils/UI elements.  Are those tools worth the license costs? How does a BB developer usually create mock-ups? Do you only stick to high-level/sketch-like ones?

Thanks for clarifying these points and best regards,

Markus

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Maybe somebody else knows something about that, i usually get my UI specs from an external designer (no clue what they use, but the result is usually a ppt) or do them myself (usually with pencils on a sheet of paper).

UI on BB is quite cumbersome, there is no rapid prototyping, you basically have to develop it to a point to see how it looks.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

I have tended to use Balsamiq Mockups: http://www.balsamiq.com/

Not free, but not expensive either.

In the donated Mockups To Go Library https://mockupstogo.mybalsamiq.com/projects/blackberry/grid there a few BlackBerry specific items but I have found that the standard assets tend to suffice, once you understand what is possible with the UI on a BlackBerry (read as pretty much whatever you can dream up if you have the developer time to invest)

My Device: Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

I'm in the same boat and very recently was pointed to BlackBerry 10 Templates , they have PowerPoint and Keynote templates for creating BB 10 apps. I just purchased the Keynote templates yesterday and so far I've been pretty impressed, a lot of what I wanted to mockup is included in the package and having it in Keynote is simpler than Photoshop.

Hope that helps

Natasha

My Device: developer
My Carrier: None

Please try Blackberry GUI Mockups from DesignerVista Software. This software comes with controls and templates for Blackberry and other mobile devices such as Android, Windows Phone 8 and iPhone.

www.designervista.com.