Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: AT&T

My Application Icons

Hi there,

I've been lurking around and managed to create my application off of previously known Java and learning about the Blackberry JDE, etc.. Well I ran into a problem that I'm hoping someone can fix.

I have searched up and down for the resolution, but haven't found it - I hope that I just overlooked it.

When I try to add a icon to my application, it doesn't work.  It reverts it and adds it as the hover icon.  So nothing shows for the normal icon but when you hover, then you see my icon.  I've tried numerous different icons and I've tried only adding them to hover and only to main - nothing seems to want to work.  I have a normal icon and a hover icon I would like to use, but they won't add as I said they only show the hover part of it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: My Application Icons

How do you set the icon? What JDE level are you using? What OS level is on the device?

Setting the app icon and the "rollover" icon are two completely different things, and the procedure may vary from OS level to OS level.

Developer

I have set the icon both ways (through the project properties, and also through adding the image and then editing the images properties).  My JDE is 4.7.0.41 - I thought 5.0 was still in beta, so I wasn't sure to download it or not - as I also wasn't sure if the apps would work on older OS's.  And I initially tested it on a Blackberry Storm 2 (Simulator) running 5.0 OS.  Then I downloaded the 4.5 Blackberry World Edition and it runs the icons 100%.

So is it just the storm 2 or do I need the 5.0 JDE?

Developer

Code that you compile on 5.0 should only be run on phones having OS 5.0 or higher. This holds true for all versions of Blackberry OS.

4.7 allows you to set both the app icon and the rollover icon in properties - have you done this?

Developer

Yeah, I have and it only shows the rollover icon, and it shows it when I rollover.  When I don't rollover - it shows nothing..

Developer

It shows nothing?

Or does it show the default icon (looks like a black square DOS window).

What happens if you reverse the two images? Maybe one of the images is not added correctly, or is of an incorrect size or type?

Developer
My Device: 9500
My Carrier: Airtel

Try using RIM MIDlet icon specification in your manifest file.

Example:

MIDlet-1: @displayName@,img/@codename@.png,
RIM-MIDlet-Icon-1-1: img/@codename@.gif
RIM-MIDlet-Icon-Count-1: 1

Developer

Hey guys, I just gave up on it (The icons that is Smiley Tongue) My application is up and running perectly fine and it's not too bad that there isn't a hover icon.. Thank you a ton for the help though - glad you guy's are here for the help!