Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Vivo

NFC Settings

Hi,

I’m using the BlackBerry plug in for Eclipse to develop some apps that use the NFC technology, and I'm finding trouble with the NFC feature.

When I set the "Allow NFC Card Transactions" settings on (When Locked or Backlight is Off/ When Powered Off), the NFC would only work on these circumstances, otherwise the NFC just works if the mobile light is on.

For the purpose of the application I need the NFC to run on both modes, so my questions are: is it possible?

Does my handset need an software upgrade? Is it broken?

The device I'm working on is a BlackBerry Curve 9360 with the BlackBerry 7.1 OS.

Thank you in advance.

Retired
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Re: NFC Settings

[ Edited ]

What type of transactions are you trying to do?

NFC Card transactions refers to NFC communication between the secure element on your SIM, or the embedded secure element and an external reader. ie: the BlackBerry device behaves as a Card. (eg: VISA or door key)

You (generally) need carrier involvement to install applets on the SIM, and BlackBerry involvement to install applets on the embedded SE.

If you are trying to do any NFC operations that do not involve either of the secure elements; you are not doing Card transactions.

For example, NDEF tag reading/writing, peer to peer, ISO 14443 target emulation are not Card transactions.

Some of these other capabilities are explicitly designed to only ever function when your application is in the foreground and the device is unlocked with the backlight on.

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Vivo

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using card transactions. I know that because I'm working with a wallet applet installed on a SWP Compliant UICC SIM Card. Also I have an external SC Reader that with my demo app, acts like a POS and communicates with the applet within the SE. 

My demo is working fine, except for the problems I mentioned on the first post.

Retired
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Cool! Can you confirm the full build number on the device please? I'll check with developement.

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.