Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: freelancer

NFC api for mifare classic

Is there any example to read a mifare classic card? The NFC API of ISO14443 is quite hard to use compared to Android. Thanks

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: NFC api for mifare classic

No, we don't support the MIFARE classic. It does not support ISO7816-4, has some proprietory aspects to its ISO14443-3 implementation, uses a proprietary crypto algorithm and has special licensing requirements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900

If I know the authentication and crypto algorithm,is it possible to use iso14443connection to send mifare propritary command to do 3 Pass authentication?or it is totaaly blocked. By the underlying f/w
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BB 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

I recently acquired the "Mifare4Mobile Interface Specification V1.01" document from NXP (after agreeing to a non-disclosure type of agreement).  According to section 6 (page 47 of 82) it states, "The APDU command format used in this specification is compliant to ISO/IEC 7816 and is based on GlobalPlatform card specification."  I'm also under the impression that selecting the card and retrieving the UID does not require any special process.  That is, selecting and retrieving the UID is before the 3 pass authentication model that Mifare supports (e.g. Using the Diagnostic tool that came with my HID Omnikey 5321 reader, it will identify my card as Mifare (via the ATR string) and read the UID without any key knowledge).  This supports the idea that that Mifare extends the ISO 14443 Part 3 standard and not replace it (this is also supported by the above document under section 1.1 page vii of 82).  For now I'd be satisfied with the reading just the serial number but eventually I would like to obtain full access to all sectors of the card. 

Is this a system level limitation?  Will this change?  If both Android and Blackberry support NFC why is it that Android supports Mifare Classic and Blackberry doesn't?

I work for an agency with 50K> employees (all have Id cards utilizing Mifare Classic 1K technology) with approx. 8K blackberry's.  We all ready have many custom application based off of the Id card, the benefits of reading the card and emulating the card via a company blackberry is obvious.  Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PL

My Device: Bold 9900

As far as I know MIFARE4Mobile specification is for Mobile device to act like a Card, not for Mobile to act like a MIFARE reader. In any case, for both cases i.e., as a card or a reader, requires different set of proprietary crypto license from MIFARE.

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Best Buy

Holy Cow!

I'm not use which is worse, BlackBerry not supporting the most dominate NFC tag / card on the planet or that thinking that 7816 is needed to read it.

This is not good.

Retired

Hi kcuhcBerry

the reason I mentioned ISO7816 is that the current BlackBerry APIs allow you to create 7816-4 APDUs which is as near as you can get to what it takes to talk to a Mifare Classic.... I believe you can wrap Mifare classic native commands in 7816-4 APDUs, right?

The primary issues with 7816 and Mifare Classic appear to relate to layer 3 not layer 4 anyway and the way the crypto and frame creation/CRC derivation is done.

I'm no Mifare Classic expert and don't claim to be by the way Smiley Happy

But either way... we don't support reading/writing to Mifare Classic from a Blackberry application at this time.

Regards

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Martin,

is,  'But either way... we don't support reading/writing to Mifare Classic from a Blackberry application at this time.'

an indication that Mifare Classic support is being considered/re-evaluated for the future?

Retired

No, not that I know of.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360

Hi PJ

Can you get the UID from any nfc emulation card from your blackberry?

I am getting the RID every time it's read...

I want to get rid of that and estipulate one unique ID to use in access control...

Do you have anything that helps me?

Kind regards