Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
narasinga
My Device: black berry 8820
My Carrier: new

Re: Need Help With GPSDemo Application

could some body please help me. What are the basic steps to send details from device to server. what do i need (like BES i don't know exactly what i have to do).

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

I'm concerned here that you understand what we would try to explain to you, so I need to confirm that you understand the basics before we start trying to help you with solutions.  Evidence so far on this Thread suggests that you are fairly new to BlackBerry development, so perhaps you have a lot to learn.  This is not a good place to teach people stuff, so forgive me if I keep directing you to better places to learn.

Let us see how much you do know.  Please answer the folling questions.

You say you have a socket connection.  What URL is associated with the socket connection?  What port is associated with socket connection?  What language was the socket connection on the Server written in?  Do you have knowledge on how to use that socket?  On a BlackBerry, how do you open a socket connection?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narasinga

hi i am answering the questions which u asked me.

not exactly same but like that (May have syntax errors)

host = myipaddress:5555

1. url is "socket//"+host+";deviceside=false"

2.jde provided server program also (GPSDemo as the program name in Server folder) i am using this. and it alrady having the port no as 5555

3.I know small about the sockets in using the blackberry and i have done a small project with sockets but there clent and server are in lan connection so no worries about that connection.

but here devie must send data to the server(which is running at my computer). i though u understand my problem.

Please use plain text.
Developer
mbasheerk

the problem is that device not sending response to server,

the problem may becuase oh ur Locationproviser might be null or ur location might be invalid please check it!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

OK, two obvious things immediately.

1) You have specified "deviceside=false".  That means the BlackBerry is connected to a BES.  Is your real BlackBerry connected to a BES, in other words, is it a corporate BlackBerry?  If it is not then you have to use one of the BIS connections (WA or, Direct TCP for example).  This, and the difference BES/BIS is covered in the sticky Thread and the Required Reading it references. 

2) Your socket connection is running on your own PC.  When your phone is talking wirelessly, it is on a public network, like everyone else on the Internet.  So can someone (like me for example) on the internet connect to your socket?  What IP Address would they use?  If I can not connect to your socket, then your BlackBerry can't either. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narasinga

boss my device getting the information of gps and if i put deviceside=false it is giving error while connecting to socket and to receive the device sent data do i need Blackberry Enterprise Server(BES) . if yes tell me the procedure for "How to activate BES Configuration in my device " please tell me these basic steps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

How did you get your BlackBerry?

Do you have a BES device?  If so, ask your BES Administrator to activate your Device.  BES devices are normally given to employees of large corporate companies. 

If you do not have a BES device, then you can't use ";deviceside=false" and will have to use some other connection string, as discussed in the Required Reading on the Sticky Thread.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narasinga

hi i am getting it(BES) and i studied all the requirements for using the BES like sql server, windows server etc. and after installion of the bes server do i receive device sending data??

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Once you have BES installed and your device is Enterprise activated, your current code (with ";deviceside=false") should connect to the URL you have specified.  Because BES uses MDS as a gateway, and MDS is located inside your firewall, the URL you use need not be accessible to the internet. 

Does that answer your questions?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
narasinga

hi peter i am currently downloading all the pre requirements(MSExchange Software , SQL Server etc.) and then i implement this client server program. before this previously when i put device side= false it is giving error and then i putted it as device side = true. then no error is coming as well as no connection with server too. After installing BES Can i put that statement device side=true to device side= false??

Please use plain text.