Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
ankit2grover
My Device: Not Specified

Need help in BES/MDS

Hi All,

I want to connect my application to BES/MDS.....I have installed BES but am not able to understood that whether MDS is available with the BES or it is provided by service provider?.....Iam noob in using the servers(i do not have any experience of using the servers),as am only person who is handling Blackberry work,so i have to handle BES and all other related stuffs with blackberry development on my own.......I want to know that ->

1.How i use BES for connecting my application?

2.Shall i need to talk to service provider for providing me MDS for my BES? What prerequisites am supposed to do before contacting them?

3.If any documents are available related to that,please show me the right direction.......

Prompt reply would be appricated......Any kind of help would be appreciated.......I need the direction n little guidance..............

Developer
rafo

Re: Need help in BES/MDS

When you installed BES you need to do "Enterprise Activation" for your device. You should register this device on your server and run enterprise activation on the device. After that the device and the server will be connected and can interact to each other.
----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Developer
ankit2grover

Thanx.......

How i register my device for "Enterprice Activation" ?......Do i require public IP of my server? and what steps i need to do on server for registering the device(means on which captions or icons i click for registering it?) ? Is am using MDS which is provided by BES or i have to go to my service provider?

Developer
rafo

[ Edited ]

I worked with BES a long time ago, but I'll try to recall.

First step - you should register a user on your Exchange/Domino/NovellGroupwise server with mailbox.

This mailbox address, say jdoe@company.com will be used for enterprise activation. Just specify this address on your device (Options-Enterprise Activation) and run the activation via menu.

My BES server was setup with internal ip address like 192.168.0.52 but it had access to the Internet. So, real ip address for BES server was not necessary.

You may get the documentation for your BES server here

Message Edited by rafo on 09-04-2008 01:35 PM
----------------
Developer
rafo

There is a documentation for BES for Lotus Notes/Domino

There is a chapter: "Adding user accounts to the BES"

I think it will be helpful, even if you're using Exchange/Novell

----------------
Developer
ankit2grover

Thanx,Rafo.....

For showing me the right direction,i go through these documents and then let you know whether am able to connect my application or not?...........If you have any more idea realted to that which can help me,please let me know.....If any other developer reading this thread, if he/she could help me......please help me as am noob to this server and with the developer am supposed to handle role of administrator now,so any kind of help will be appreciated..........But,please Rafo tell me that is MDS is provided by BES itself or i need my service provider help in it?............  

Developer
rafo

Connecting a device to the BES should not take too much time for you.

For me it took about 10 minutes. It should be easy.

----------------