Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Cheetah
My Device: Not Specified

Need help selecting Development tools

I'm an experienced c++ s/w eng and am familiar with ms visual studio. I would like to develop blackberry apps so I'll

be teaching myself java as i go. Can you tell me what you guys/girls are using? JDE? Eclipse? Visual Studio? What are the pros/cons of each? I did a search but didn't find anything helpful. Thanks in advance.

Developer
RexDoug

Re: Need help selecting Development tools

[ Edited ]

If you are not an Eclipse afficionado, then the BlackBerry JDE is probably the best choice to start. You'll spend very little time learning the tool so that you can concentrate on learning the language.

Everything is integrated into the JDE - the device simulator, the MDS communication simulator, debugger, profiler, etc.

Message Edited by RexDoug on 12-15-2008 09:39 PM
Developer
Cheetah

Great. Thank you very much. Here I go!
Developer
Berrysoft

I'd say unless you are already familiar with Eclipse it is easier to get started with the JDE, but harder as it lacks some more modern features like code completion (unless that has changed since I last looked).

Once you have a working understanding of getting an app running, then you might want to go to Ganymede if you have the time.  This is especially true if you want to setup build and revision control.

If you try Eclipse, be sure to test out there new version of the Eclipse plugin as it gives you a lot of capability you otherwise have to get with Apache Ant and bb-ant-tools I believe.

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Also I recommend to check links below.

And welcome to the club :smileyhappy: