Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
arkadyz
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

Re: Nested Managers - keeping Manager from scrolling

Unless you extend a Manager and implement your own sublayout, don't ever use setExtent - pass the correct values into super.sublayout instead. Doing otherwise is just asking for trouble.

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!
Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

arkadyz wrote:

@dnepr: that's pretty much what I told akhan back in the day.

However, I suspect some additional problem there: both akhan and david_schwartz_bb seem to have problems specifically with ObjectListField. And there was a report on a totally difference issue, but still to do with ListField and scrolling. Might well be an OS bug - that other issue most definitely was.

That rings a bell.

Inside the VFM sublayout, when laying out a listfield, do the following:

f being the ListField

layoutChild(f, desired list width, ((ListField) f).getSize() * ((ListField) f).getRowHeight());

Please use plain text.
Developer
arkadyz
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

Personally I don't like stuff like layoutChild in built-in managers. They do that properly in their sublayouts and later use their internal data generated by the same sublayout method to scroll and paint properly.

I do wonder how akhan's and david_schwartz_bb's custom managers lay out their children, especially the scrolling VFM. They might have some subtle bug there exposed only by more complex screen components such as ListFields.

For example, david's setExtent(300, 300) looks extremely suspicious. super.sublayout(300, 300) is the proper way to achieve it for built-in managers. I've just posted this in the other thread - I hope that's a good enough explanation:

Re: Add Toolbar to popup Screen

Overall, writing a custom layout Manager has many pitfalls - they might have fallen into one or more of those :smileywink:.

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!
Please use plain text.
New Developer
david_schwartz_bb
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: verizon

I figured it out.

The form containing the ObjectListField must have this in the constructor:

super(NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL);

Somehow it prevents the ObjectListField from stretching out the background image instead of scrolling the list within the background.

Do you know why this is required?

Please use plain text.