Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
morganbelford
My Device: Not Specified

Networking fails on Indosat, XL and Digicel, also WAP2 problems with Vodafone/Vodacom and Airtel

We have a number of users downloading in the Caribbean (Digicel in Trinidad, Jamaica and other islands) and Indonesia  (Sinyal Bagus XL, among others).  Regardless of the BB model, they all have problems making any network (http) connection.

Looking at our error logs, it seems like there is no WAP2 service book on these devices, and when they are not using WiFi, a direct connection (deviceside=true) is being refused by the carrier ("Tunnel failures" and "Critical tunnel failures").

Also, to a lesser extent, when our Vodacom/Vodafone customers make WAP2 connections, they not infrequently get DNS errors.

Note that we used to get content encoding errors from Vodafone, before we adjusted our HTTP headers to prevent proxies from screwing with our data.

Has anyone else seen either of these problems? Is there any way of working around them on these carriers without a BIS connection?

Developer
RexDoug

Re: Networking fails on Indosat, XL and Digicel, also WAP2 problems with Vodafone/Vodacom and Airtel

Are you also adding the carrier-specific APN info to the URL when using ";deviceside=true"?

Developer
morganbelford

Re: Networking fails on Indosat, XL and Digicel, also WAP2 problems with Vodafone/Vodacom and Airtel

We are not! When we find a WAP2 service book entry we use info from it, but we don't ourselves add APN info.

In most countries I think we assume the APN info is in the phone's settings, and I am not sure we realized we could add it into the connection string ourselves.  Are you suggesting that this can work?

Developer
RexDoug

WAP2 does not require any additional parameters, except the conneciton UID, so you are fine if WAP2 is supported on the device.  However, not all carriers support it, or populate the service books with the UID.

In my experience, the APN settings are not in the phone as delivered on most carriers - the customer needs to add them, or you need to include them with the URL.

I would go ahead and set them in the URL, along with ";deviceside=true".

See this article:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/How_To_...

Developer
Andiamo
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9550

I would be careful with filling in APN settings. Before directing your users to do that, and certainly before providing them in the URL, I suggest warning the user that using this method may incur extra charges.

I have the exact same problem... I constantly receive reports from people on those networks stating that they cannot use my app. I've suggested either switching to WAP2 mode or filling in their APN settings from the device Options menu, but many of those users have replied stating that they have to pay extra for those services, billed separately from their usual data charges.

It seems the only real solution for people on networks where WAP2 or DirectTCP does not work is BIS-B/Public MDS. Unfortunately you must be a BlackBerry Alliance member to use BIS-B, which involves a several-thousand dollar fee. As I'm for the most part just a hobbiest I can't afford that, so I'm kind of at a loss as to how I can support these users.

I'd be very interested in hearing more about this problem... I can only hope that there's something I'm missing...?

Developer
RexDoug

I agree about the extra charges, but first the thing has to work.

Many carriers do not support WAP2 - apparently this one does not. or the service books are not correctly populated.

At the end of the day, a wireless app (that requires a network connection) is not much good to the user without a network connection.

Developer
Andiamo
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9550

Yep, you're right of course. I'm definitely not saying don't offer the APN/direct tcp method at all, since the app is useless to those users if you don't. Rather, I'm suggesting that if they select that connection method, just display a popup informing the user that it's possible that they will incur extra charges by using it. My app uses a lot of data since it's downloading many fairly large images, and I can't imagine anything worse for one of my users than if they received a $80 overage bill at the end of the month from my app!

But yeah, I can confirm that setting the APN settings in the URL will work for those Indosat users provided they're willing to pay.