Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
jonberry
My Device: Not Specified

Re: New Alliance Program - a good thing for developers?

mkirkup wrote:

The Alliance program is intended to take that relationship to the next level by offering not only named development support but also by providing business development support, go to market planning, marketing programs, and a variety of other benefits.  This should compliment and enhance what we provide to the developer community as a whole rather than detract from it.

There are some of us that don't want or need named development or business support.

However, we do need access to real devices and a reliable network transport.

Please consider adding another tier to the program that permits single developers to prosper.

Please use plain text.
Developer
SergGr

Since there is some official feedback from mkirkup in the thread, I'll put in my two cents. First of all, I'd like to know what is the expected by RIM way for firms to get these 45 points? (There is simon_hali's opinion, but I'm closer to peter's one that it is not that easy) Or in other words what kind of firm is expected to be able to achieve it? I.e. what kind of firm is expected to participate in the program?

You can see that BIS-B is the thing that everyone mentions as the key part of whole Alliance program for developers. Well, I support them. I have some experience with several different mobile platforms. And in my opinion BlackBerries have the most difficult networking that is key feature for significant part of all applications for mobile devices. Personally I don't understand why it should be that hard. I can write simple code for Windows Mobile or iPhone that will work on every mobile network. Why is it impossible with BlackBerries? Actually, I'd like to hear if there is someone with successful experience in creating application with network communication that doesn’t use BIS-B and can work well in many mobile networks. BIS-B is the solution at least for most of us, developers. And I can’t understand why RIM eliminates such possibility for many developers without giving something in exchange.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your issue is solved, set "Solution" mark at the relevant post.
Don't hesitate to Kudos people whose posts helped you.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Aviator168
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

After reading many many message in the forum. The solution to almost all the networking problems seems to the BIS. But here is the thing. Since it is more difficult now to be in the BIS program, that means small and new dev are not in BIS, and that mean their apps will only work on some people's BB and that leads to bad reviews. Then, how can they reach that 50K/Q target in order to join BIS. It becomes the chicken or the egg thing. Developers can only produce good working app to join the alliance program and can't produce good working app without being in the program. Cycle repeats.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jhw1701

This is the very reason why friends at my old company told me they are not renewing and why my current company has boycotted the program.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
New Developer
jkb

i don't see why people complain.  you pay $100 one time fee, get same access as everybody else and unlimited free access to push.

oh wait, that is another smartphone developer program, the one which wants a lot of developer and apps for their platform.

in all seriousness though: shame on you BlackBerry screwing up your developer like this. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
gregzav
My Device: 9630

I agree with everything jonberry said. Only posting so RIM knows he isn't alone...
Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
mkirkup

Thank you for all of the feedback on the new program!

It’s pretty clear that the developer community really values the BIS transport service. We’ve seen a lot of discussion about this here and on other sites, raising concern about access to this service, and we want you to know, we’ve taken that feedback to heart.

There were three consistent areas of concern from the developer community in the feedback over the past couple of weeks:

1. Access to BIS-B Transport
  2. Access to BIS Push Data services
  3. Access to devices for testing and development (via a loaner program or device purchase program)

We want to ensure that all developers have access to the services they need to start developing on the BlackBerry platform and we are actively evaluating a means to provide access to all three of the above services to developers in the Registered tier of the Alliances program.  The Registered tier is free to join today and does not have any point requirements to maintain membership.

Stay tuned for additional updates on these new services.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

[ Edited ]

Mike, that is most welcome news.  I think you have got the three key areas, certainly from my perspective and I look forward to hearing your updates.  Kudos from me!!!!!

Edit to fix typo.

Message Edited by peter_strange on 10-05-2009 08:19 PM
Please use plain text.
Developer
jonberry

Kudos!
Please use plain text.
Developer
bedathur
My Device: BlackBerry Bold

Great news! Very pleased to see RIM so open to feedback from the developer community. This is a very welcome development.

Thanks, Mike! 

Please use plain text.