Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
New Developer
jkb
My Device: Not Specified

Re: New Alliance Program - a good thing for developers?

thanks mike. 

one other thing i mentioned during the BB dev conf when i ran into you was sample code.  can we please get more sample code given to us?  if you look at http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/navigation/index.html?section=Resource+Types&topic=Sample+... you will see 760 (!!!!) sample code examples and guides on pretty much anything iPhone can do. 

for example right now, with BB, we are trying to develop some nice UI, and we have no sample code or guides to help us with it.  how hard can it be to upload sample code to a website?  we want to develop kick **bleep** apps for BB and you making it hard for us while apple made it super easy for us by providing developers with huge number of ready to build and run in sumlator sample projects. 

heck, if you can't figure out how to do a website, just go old school and ftp some sample source code to an ftp server for all we care.  gzip, upload to ftp server, post URL on the forums..

Retired
mkirkup

Absolutely.

This is a huge priority for us.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
New Developer
New Developer
jkb

thank you, but please hurry though -- we are writing code now:smileyhappy:

(and we want to deliver best UI experience we can to our users)

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Not trying to prove you wrong, I would like more sample code too, but it is 77 samples. For comparison in the current JDE 5.0 Beta 5 samples folder there is a total of 98 samples.

760 is the total number of documents Apple has for ALL their iPhone documents (samples, general info, detailed info, documentation, release notes, etc.).

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
jonberry

Sample code is nice but it's a bit OT here.

I would rather know if we're going to see another tier to the alliance program or when the registered tier is going to get an upgrade.

New Developer
New Developer
jkb

right, which is why in my post i said "sample code examples and guides on pretty much anything iPhone can do."

i honestly don't care too much about BlackBerryJDE5.0.0.exe as we don't use windows for our development -- we use mac.  i don't want to go and buy a windows box just to be able to look at sample source code. 

in ideal world i'd like to just download a .zip file with some .java files inside of it and hopefully a guide or two to go along.

is that really too much to ask for?  why is it that apple can provide you with .zip files of sample source code without making you purchase a macbook and download Xcode first?

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

Sorry missed the "documents" part. As for the samples you can use Eclipse, it has the same samples. It would be nice to have the samples for download, that way if new samples are added we don't need to install a new JDE or Component Pack.

Edit: Also jonberry has a point, our posts are out of place.

Three simple rules:
Developer
peter_strange

But if I could add two more comments before we go back to just talking about the Alliance Program on this Thread:

1) If you include the KB articles, I think you will find that RIM might have more stuff for developers than Apple

2) these samples don't have to come from RIM.  There are a number of other places out where you can pick up code, like:

http://www.thinkingblackberry.com/

http://developerlife.com/tutorials/?p=738

http://www.naviina.eu/wp/category/blog/

Great code, but if we could put these all in one place, documentable, searchable, updateable and createable, then people would know where to look.  Sort of a BlackBerry sample wiki.  That is what I want anyway.  I will write a tutorial on networking - hang on, hasn't someone already done that?  :smileyhappy:

Developer
rcmaniac25

I didn't think about that, a Wiki. That would be great.

Three simple rules:
Contributor
craigbrass
My Device: Bold

Mike: I am interested to know your timeline for opening up BIS-B and BIS Push to free level alliance partners as you detailed earlier in this thread.

Also, I want to make something clear and hope you will make sure it goes up the chain to the people who make decisions: Applications my company has created so far for BB handsets connect to help desk software (Kayako's range of products) which are installed on the customer's OWN servers. Obviously this means a wide range of IP addresses rather than a fixed one say for developers connecting to like Facebook or Twitter. Your application forms always ask for a specific IP address so are not geared for this kind of installation but maybe you could suggest the change so for BIS-B or push, you allow us to state that it could be a request to ANY IP address rather than one in particular.