Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: simulator for now

New to BB Dev - Simulator Password?

I'm not sure where to drop the message so I chose here.  I installed the BB 10 SDK, The Simulator, the VMWare which coincidently is the same order I installed them as well.  

I hit start new project and it asksfor device setup and I choose the simulator.  I have it running and have the IP can't find the password.  There was a controller app to set a PIN which I kept the default.  It doesn't work.

Is there some sort of default password or am I missing something?  

So far it's been doable to get to this point but everything has been extremely unintuitive overall.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: New to BB Dev - Simulator Password?

I agree is it not that intuitive, however once you appreciate the foundation a bit better it actually becomes easier to understand all the bits and how they fit together and why they are all needed.  But there is a learning curve.  The doc tries to help with this and mostly does a good job I think. 

That said, you are actually in the wrong forum for BB10.  You should choose your forum based on the development tool you are using, which for you will be either Native or native/Cascades.  Anyway, here is a list of the possible forums:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Application-Platforms/ct-p/app_plat

The short answer to your question is that there is no a password for your Simulator, though you can put one in if you want.  I just click next when that Dialog comes up.  You will have a password if you have a real device which you will use to put the device into Development Mode. 

Good luck with your BB10 development. 

New Contributor

Thanks for your response Peter.

I'll for sure post over there.

Under target properties it autodiscovers the simulator but still demands a password.  The sim is the latest 10 dev alpha 10.261.  I tried the basics 1234FFFF, devuser, password, Password, admin1 etc.  I can Telnet to it.

You say there isn't a password set so this is behaving wierd.

Again thanks for your help.

Jayson

Developer

It always ask me for a password too, I don't put anything in there (i.e. I leave it blank).

I presume you could go on the Simulator and set a password.  Perhaps we should.  Go in Settings, then Security, then Development Mode. 

New Contributor

Thanks Peter.

I forgot that tidbit. Leaving it blank doesn't help.

The BB Deployment Wizard setup wizard - Device Setup auto-discovers the simulator IP , Next is highlighted but after clicking it the red x appears beside the check saying authentication failed from invalid password. It's blank. Same result with all the other password ideas.

I'm not sure what to do at this juncture.

On another note, the simulator boots up to the Blackberry logo with the coloured circles around then goes to a black screen. Once it went to a screen with a few icons up but I got hung up in the marketplace or something and couldn't go back to view the settings.

I may need to reboot it a few times to try and get that screen again and see about the password.

Thanks for your help Peter. Let me know if there's any other ideas you may have what's happening with this.

Jayson
Developer

I think we should ignore the password problem right now, sounds like your Simulator is not running properly.

In my case, it sometimes doesn't start (gets stuck on the black screen before the "BlackBerry logo" and the blue circles.  If it gets to the blue circles then I am pretty sure it will start up OK.  But sometimes it starts OK but does not respond to anything.  I just reset it. 

Until you have the Simulator running properly, I would think the password will never be authenticated...

Pop over to the cascades form and see if other people are =having Simulator problems.