Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

dnuji
My Device: bold 9900

New to app building,need advice

Hey there,new on here and coding in general. Just need some direction. As a student currently I plan on working on a side project for my IT portfolio.  I want to make a BMI calc using java for os7.0.

as of right now i just have simple java code made up for it thats asks height in inches and weight in pounds. and using system.scanner, put in results,it prints out ur bmi + your category.

Now where do I go from here, to making this inot an ap and making it look like os7 gui.

is there any books,or links for beginners for this sort of situtation.

Thanks a lot

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: New to app building,need advice

Your best bet is to run through a few of the samples.  There are few magic incantations that you have to issue to get the apps running to but to be honest you should ignore these, copy a working sample, and then take it from there changing the screens as you need.

So load the Samples in Eclipse (instructions elsewhere on the forum if you search) and run these up on the Simulator and see what they do and which you think is closest to what you want.  Then copy it and start changing things. 

You might find this and the referenced links useful:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Tutorials-for-new-developers-Part-1/m-p/1621...