Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
Logicopolis
My Device: Not Specified

Newbie - JDE/Simulator/BB choices with a good initial dev & test setup

I have setup Eclipse 3.4.2 & Java 6 u16 with BlackBerry JDE Plugin Full 1.0.0.67 and JDE 4.3 to start learning BB development with Hello World type apps.

JDE 4.3 seems to have just the Pearl 8130 and 8120 simulators and I wanted to try some others (Curve, Bold, Tour, Storm).

It appears that to have the other simulators you need to install other JDE's and so I installed all the others (4.2.1, 4.5, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.7 & 5.0) and indeed when you Configure Workspace to use each, in the Build/Run settings you can make an explicit choice on which simulator to use.

1.) Assumptions... 

I'd like to ramp up quickly and hope that for a "simple" application that I will be able to target the largest % of end BB potential customers with a specific version of JDE. I have seen another thread stating that 4.2.1 is a good lowest common denominator and I also have an understanding that any newer device (Bold 9000 for example) will be able to run older 4.2.1 apps.

Are my assumptions/understandings above correct and/or do you have any comments?

2.) Simulators

With JDE 4.2.1 you get an extensive set of simulators to choose from except it appears for Storm (95xx), Curve (8900) and  Bold (9000).

Do folks generally build/test solely on 4.2.1 (and expect these apps to run OK on either other devices and/or with newer OS versions) or is there a way to install the additional simulators on the JDE 4.2.1 component package?

Or, do you usually create multiple builds (one per end device and OS version) and test/deploy each by Configuring BB Workspace and setting the build/run options to use a specific simulator?

3.) Tour

I have not yet seen any JDE that has a simulator included for the Tour 9630. Is a simulator for the Tour available?

4.) Actual device testing

Surely most developers do not have access to a large selection of physical devices to test with as setting up a phone & data plan for each would be prohibitive. How do most folks do physical device testing when just starting out? Is there anyway to get your hands on devices without phone & data plans on every phone?

Thanks for any help/comments you can provide. 

Please use plain text.