Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
XiMaker
My Device: Not Specified

Newbie to JAVA - Help with an error message

[ Edited ]

I'm new to the JDE and trying to use the SyncDemo that comes as a sample to make it so that our CRM application that is developed in Visual Basic 6 can sync to the Address Book, Calendar and ToDo's of the BlackBerry - When I try to Compile the SyncDemo code (Actuall ALL the samples do the same thing)  I get the following error message...  Can someone tell me what I need to do to correct his problem?

Building com_rim_syncdemo
C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\bin\rapc.exe  -quiet  import=..\lib\net_rim_api.jar codename=com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\com_rim_syncdemo com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\com_rim_syncdemo.rapc warnkey=0x52424200;0x52525400;0x52435200 "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\resource\SyncDemoRes.rrh" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\ContactData.java" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\ContactScreen.java" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\img\syncdemo_jde.png" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\SyncDemo.java"
I/O Error: Cannot run program "javac": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
Error while building project

Message Edited by XiMaker on 07-14-2008 03:34 PM
Developer
jhfisher
My Device: 8310

Re: Newbie to JAVA - Help with an error message

I just had this again while setting up a new computer. try installing this: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html (where it says 'Download J2SE SDK', ignore the other links) and then give it another try.

There's a knowledgebase article on this issue here which has more info:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/796557/800738/800901/Support_-_I_O_Error_CreateProcess.html?nodeid=800760 

Retired
mkirkup

You need to have javac in your environment path so that the JDE can invoke it with the command "javac" directly.

For example, at a command prompt you should be able to type javac and it will invoke the Java compiler.  

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
New Developer
XiMaker

Well, the download fixed the compile errors that prevented it from being built - now I'm getting these warnings - wondering what is up - looks like I need some kind of "Key" - how do I get this key - "requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API" - sorry for the basic questions - I'm new to Java and BlackBerry

Building com_rim_syncdemo
C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\bin\rapc.exe  -quiet  import=..\lib\net_rim_api.jar codename=com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\com_rim_syncdemo com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\com_rim_syncdemo.rapc warnkey=0x52424200;0x52525400;0x52435200 "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\resource\SyncDemoRes.rrh" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\ContactData.java" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\ContactScreen.java" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\img\syncdemo_jde.png" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\syncdemo\SyncDemo.java"
Warning!: Reference to class: net.rim.device.api.synchronization.SyncObject requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API
Warning!: Reference to class: net.rim.device.api.synchronization.SyncConverter requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API
Warning!: Reference to class: net.rim.device.api.synchronization.SyncCollection requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API
Warning!: Reference to class: net.rim.device.api.system.PersistentObject requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API
Warning!: Reference to class: net.rim.device.api.system.PersistentStore requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API
Warning!: Reference to class: net.rim.device.api.synchronization.SyncManager requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API
Warning!: Reference to class: net.rim.device.api.synchronization.ConverterUtilities requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API
Warning!: Reference to class: net.rim.device.api.system.Display requires signing with key: RIM Runtime API
Build complete.

Developer
richard_puckett
My Device: Bold 9700

Probably the best way to answer that question is with RIM's Code Signing Video Tutorial.

New Developer
XiMaker

Thanks for the link and info - have signed up for a key and awaiting its arrival - thanks

Mark

New Developer
XiMaker

Ok - I've got my Signing Keys and they were installed but I still get the Warning when I compile - wondering if that should go away?  I am able to double-click on the .COD file and it does it's thing to sign it - would think that it would do that automatically when I compile.  

HOWEVER; once I put the SyncDemo on to the BlackBerry - I click on the Icon and get this message:

Uncaught exception:  Missing resource  com.rim.samples.device.resource.SyncDemoRes

What did I miss?  Any help would be greatly appreciated....

I also compiled and installed the sample tictactoe application - when I click on it I get the following:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error

Sorry for the basic questions - still trying to learn this...   BTW:  Is there a JDE for Dummy's book?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

You'll also need to build and load the resource projects.  Most of the samples rely on them.

The signature key warnings can be turned on/off by clicking on the Edit menu of the BlackBerry JDE, selecting Preferences..., clicking on the Code Signing tab and checking off the keys you don't want to receive warnings for.

Note that you'll still need to sign your cod files each time they are built before loading them onto a BlackBerry.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
XiMaker

Whoo Hooo - Got tictactoe working and no errors when I go to click on the SyncDemo icon on the Blackberry - THANK YOU

now, I'm trying to do the sync process and find that it still shows that there are ZERO (0) tables  when I do the sync - I was looking at the code on syncdemo and find that there are some missing files - can you tell me where I can find them...

In the SyncDemo.java code there is a reference to "extends net.rim.device.api.ui.UiApplication" - when I go to double click to open that file it shows:   "File 'C:\ABS10\Components\JavaDevice\Platform\4.3.0\Lynx\runtime\net\rim\device\api\ui\UiApplication.Java'  not found

same type of thing for the ContactData.java under 'extends java.lang.Object' I get error    File: 'C:\ABS10\Components\JavaDevice\Platform\4.3.0\Lynx\runtime\java\lang\Object.java' not found

Developer
richard_puckett
My Device: Bold 9700

Those classes are located in the net_rim_api.jar file which is located in your JDE's "lib" folder.  Sources are not included - there are only .class files within the jar, generally speaking.

While it would be handy to be able to view RIM's sources (esp their UI framework) it's just not going to happen.

If you want to view the standard midp and cldc sources you can obtain those from Sun, though developers generally don't look through sources like that unless they have a very specific reason for doing so.  IOW, if you want to read the sources for java.lang.Object feel free to do so, but it'll most likely only serve an academic purpose rather than help you get your application working.  If you want to see how classes are supposed to work you're best bet is to use the Javadocs.