Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Reply
Developer
bedathur
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎11-23-2008
My Device: BlackBerry Bold
Accepted Solution

OTA deployment question

I wanted to deploy an application over the air via BES (4.1), so I put the cod and alx files on a shared drive, ran the indexer, created software configuration and assigned it to the user. Everything went fine, except that it hasn't been pushed to the device yet -- it has been over 5 hours since the app was put on the server! So what could have gone wrong? How do I troubleshoot deployment failures? Is there a log somewhere I can look at? The application installs just fine using javaloader. And the cod files are under 60K each.

 

I would appreciate any help!

 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
Posts: 19,601
Registered: ‎07-14-2008
My Device: Not Specified

Re: OTA deployment question

I've found useful information in the BES Logs, specifically the Policy one, which on our system is called (for Sept 9):

 

EMS_POLC_01_20090909_0001.txt

 

which I've found in (again, for Sept 9)

 

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20090909

 

In this log, I look for messages like:

Determine OTA deliverable packages for PIN ....

 

However I am no BES expert, it is not my area, I don't even know what release of BES we have. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
bedathur
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎11-23-2008
My Device: BlackBerry Bold

Re: OTA deployment question

Thank you, Peter! Unfortunately, I found that logging had been disabled on the server recently -- so there was nothing to look at!

 

However, this is what I did:

 

1. Added 'AppProvisioningPollInterval' to the Windows registry and set it to 10 minutes (for testing. I set it 240 after I was done testing).

2. Restarted BlackBerry Policy Service (from Windows 'Services').

 

As soon as I did the above two things, I could see some activity! However, the device status under software configuration turned to "Device not supported". I then downloaded the latest Device.xml.

 

Issue resolved!

 

Thanks. 

 

Please use plain text.