Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
akirekadu
My Device: Not Specified

OTA installer bug ?

[ Edited ]

Creating a new thread to clear confusions in my previous thread...

Our App seems to have graduated above 64k limit.  Now there are two COD files myApp.cod and myApp-1.cod that get generated.

Majority of the times (about 85%) the OTA installtion goes very well.   Rest of the times though the app gets installed, but when the user tries to start the app, an error shows up stating myApp-1.cod not found.

Is this a known issue? Is there any setting or something needed on the web server to ensure that both CODs get downloaded?

This is my JAD file:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
MIDlet-Version: 1.0.0.134
MIDlet-Jar-Size: 119019
RIM-MIDlet-Icon-1-2: img/myApp.png
MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
MIDlet-Jar-URL: myApp.jar
RIM-MIDlet-Icon-1-1: img/myApp.png
RIM-COD-Module-Dependencies: net_rim_cldc,net_rim_bbapi_phone,net_rim_bbapi_mailv2,net_rim_bb_framework_api,net_rim_os,net_rim_bbapi_invoke
RIM-COD-URL-1: myApp-1.cod
RIM-COD-SHA1-1: 62 87 ea 3c 79 b1 94 3e 2f af c5 e7 da 58 42 a6 29 d6 af be
RIM-MIDlet-Flags-2: 3
RIM-MIDlet-Flags-1: 0
RIM-COD-Size-1: 44460
RIM-COD-Module-Name: myApp
RIM-COD-Size: 37060
MIDlet-Name: myApp
RIM-COD-Creation-Time: 1219777941
MIDlet-2: ,img/myApp.png,autostartup
MIDlet-1: my App,img/myApp.png,
RIM-COD-URL: myApp.cod
MIDlet-Description: my App

RIM-COD-SHA1: 0d 35 50 74 ef 4d 98 bb ac 47 ae 2c fd 5e 56 2b 17 d7 5a 20
MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
MIDlet-Vendor: theCompany
RIM-MIDlet-Icon-Count-1: 1

The problem has been observed on  8320, 8830 and 8310 all runnign OS software  v4.2.2

Here are the contents of my webserver directory (number agains each file is the size in bytes):

LogFile.txt        109
myApp-1.cod     30908
myApp.alx    464
myApp.cod    46908
myApp.csl    60
myApp.jad    989
myApp.jar    111780
myApp.png    3232

Message Edited by akirekadu on 08-29-2008 11:19 AM
New Developer
CharlesMorse

Re: OTA installer bug ?

I am facing this problem as well.  If the OTA installer could not or did not download all the CODs listed in the JAD, the installation must fail. I do not think this issue is limited to OS 4.2.2.  I have seen this on 4.3 as well.

New Developer
lanceo

I have had cases where I suspect the .jad was being cached somewhere in the infrastructure, resulting in an older .jad that didn't specificy all of the .cod files being given to a device.  My solution was to redeploy the application under a different URL, which by definition was not cached.

Your mileage may vary...

Developer
peter_strange

A few points for consideration.

1. There is something odd about the sizes of the files that you see.  In my experience there is a small difference between the size in the jad created by the JDE and the size of the real cod, I believe this is caused by the Signing process.  I think you can "fix" these sizes using the UpdateJad tool, as documented in 4.3 Developer Guide (not sure what release this tool became available).  I don't bother.  The sizes in the jads are always smaller by a few hundred bytes that the actual size and the Browsers don't complain about this.  But in the sample given myApp-1 is 44K in the jad and only 30K on the file.  This is suspiciously different.  There is a similar significant difference with the other cod too.

2. Have you reviewed the instructions given in the Developers Guide regarding creating a jad for sibling files.  I would work through these instructions to create your jad.

3. You mention that 85% of the time it works fine.  Have you found any consistency with the times it doesn't work?  For example, you might find that the failures occur when a User uses the Wap Browser, and it works fine with the BlackBerry Browser.

4. I haven't had a problem with my generated jads that wasn't of my own making on any OS Level. 

Developer
raksat

In your jad file-

RIM-COD-Size: 37060 (It should be the size of Your COD file after signing ie. 46908 in your case)

RIM-COD-Size-1: 44460  (and here should be 30908).

And rest you can follow-up with peter_strange's artical.

Regs

Raksay

Raks
Developer
peter_strange

Just noticed lanceo's post.  Good point, I've had that too.  I think the caching occurs in the MDS, but I'm not sure, it could be on the device because I see the problem using the Wi-Fi Browser too.  To resolve, I used to do what you do and use a new name, but then I noticed the 'Refresh' in the menu when you are on the Download page.  That works for me.